Midwest Stromboli Sandwich

Has anyone figured out the recipe for a midwest Stromboli? Let me be clear, at most Italian restaurants a Stromboli is like a pizza folded in half.

When I was in the midwest (specifically Indiana) they had a Stromboli that was like a sub sandwich. I am pretty sure it was ground sausage with mozzarella cheese and it had a tomato base sauce, but I have no idea what the seasonings would be in that sauce. I know that when you ordered it you had to clarify mild or hot. I prefer mild. I have tried several times to recreate the midwest Stromboli, but with no luck.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Midwest Stromboli Sandwich

I don't know if this is what you're looking for. I googled 'midwest stromboli' and this came up under Midwest Mom's recipes on

Robert's Stromboli

This easy recipe is made with store bought dough from the frozen food section at the grocery store. It is great for parties because it can be made with a variety of fillings. The first time I made it, my friend Robert hugged me and said, "Stromboli! My favorite! You are a wonderful woman!" You don't get higher praise than that -- especially from Robert.

• 1 package frozen bread dough (4 loaves)
  • sliced pepperoni
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 lb. shaved honey ham
  • 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 Tbsp. honey Dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbsp. horseradish sauce
  • 1/2 lb. thinly sliced garlic roast beef
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced thinly
  • 2 Tbsp. thousand island dressing
  • 1/2 lb. corned beef
  • 1/2 lb. sliced Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp. water

Thaw bread dough until soft, but not risen. On a lightly floured board, roll each loaf into a 12x16 rectangle. Spread first Stromboli with tomato sauce, top with pepperoni and cheeses. Beginning with the long side, roll jelly-roll style and pinch end to seal. Spread next with mustard and top with ham and cheese. Third roll begins with horseradish sauce, topped with roast beef and fresh tomato. Finally, spread dressing on fourth roll, top with corned beef, cheese, and well-drained sauerkraut. Roll and seal each as you did the first and let rise in a warm place. Before baking, brush on egg wash (one egg beaten with 2 tbs. water) for a glossy crust. Bake on a foil-lined cookie sheet according to package directions, adding 10-15 minutes onto baking time. Watch carefully to prevent burning. Allow Stromboli to cool 10-15 minutes before slicing with a sharp serrated knife. Place slices on a platter for your guests.

Hope it's what you're looking for. There were other recipes that came up under my google results too. (11/02/2010)

By metroplex

Midwest Stromboli Sandwich

I just found out that what I am looking for is called a stromboli sub. But I can't find out the recipe of the stuffing. (11/03/2010)

By Suntydt

Midwest Stromboli Sandwich

Here is Emeril's version:

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003

Prep Time:1 hour, Inactive Prep Time:2 hours, Cook Time:35 minutes Level: Intermediate
Serves:6 servings.

• Basic Pizza Dough, recipe follows
  • 1/2 lb. hot Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
  • 1 cup sliced yellow onions
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell peppers
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green bell peppers
  • 2 Tbsp. thinly sliced seeded and stemmed jalapenos
  • 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 lb. sliced ham
  • 1/4 lb. thinly sliced pepperoni or salami
  • 1/2 cup sliced black olives
  • 2 cups grated provolone
  • 2 cups grated mozzarella
  • 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
  • 1 cup finely grated Parmesan
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet and set aside.

In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat until browned and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos and cook, stirring, until very soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool.

Punch down the dough and divide half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to a large rectangle, about 10 by 14 inches. Spread half of the cooled sausage mixture across the dough leaving a 1-inch border. Overlapping slightly, layer half of the ham, pepperoni, olives, provolone and mozzarella cheeses over the top. Using a pastry brush, paint the border of 1 long edge with egg wash. Starting at the opposite long end without egg wash, roll up the dough into a cylinder, pinching the edges to seal. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Let the dough rise, 20 to 30 minutes.

Brush the top of each stromboli with egg wash. Bake until nearly completely golden brown and starting to crisp, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle each stromboli with Parmesan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and the dough is golden brown, about 5 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Slice thickly and serve.

Basic Pizza Dough:

• 1 cup warm (110 degrees F) water
  • 1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cups bleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. salt

In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, sugar, and 1 tablespoon oil and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes.

Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Use as directed. (11/03/2010)

By bettyco123

Midwest Stromboli Sandwich

Are you possibly thinking of calzone? (11/03/2010)

By Angolamom

Midwest Stromboli Sandwich

If you pretty much remember everything besides the sauce I would recommend trying Contidena (not sure of the spelling!) pizza sauce. If that is not it then try another brand of pizza sauce. Think you will hit what you are looking for if you can locate the proper pizza sauce. Then you will be able to come up with your own sauce by following the ingredients on the label of your selected sauce.
Good luck. (11/03/2010)

By jsham

Midwest Stromboli Sandwich

Hi, This is my husband's Stromboli recipe and we live in Indiana!

• 1 loaf French bread, sliced lengthwise and remove some of the filling.
  • 1/2 lb Italian sausage-cooked and drained.
  • 1 6oz can tomato paste
  • o nion slices
  • green onion slices
  • olive slices
  • 1/2 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
  • Mozzarella cheese.

Spread top and bottom of inside of bread with tomato paste, sprinkle with seasoning. Layer bottom bread with meat, onion, peppers, olives and cheese. Put top bread on the bottom and wrap in a big piece of foil.

Bake 350 for 30 minutes and slice to serve.

We take this to super bowl parties and it's a big hit. I usually make two at a time.

Good luck!

By sarch

stromboli sandwich
Stromboli Sandwich Recipes
Gooey Butter Cake
Gooey Butter Cake Recipes
Stromboli Slices
Stromboli Recipes