Milk Odor on Carpet

Are there any home remedies to get the odor of spoiled milk out of my living room shag carpet? If not, what can I do? The bad smell is putting me in a bad mood.

Jennifer from Olathe, KS

Milk Odor on Carpet

Peroxide - First pour on enough peroxide to cover spot. Let dry. This works by using oxygen to "fizz out" and "eat" up your stain. Peroxide works great on coffee and cocoa stains as well as anything organic. Not good for stains such as Kool-aid or ink which are not organic stains.

Baking soda - Sprinkle on the baking soda. Let sit a day or so, then vacuum off.

*Or* if the above doesn't work you can buy the spray that is used to get pet urine out of carpet and fabrics This works by "eating" up the molecules with a type of good bacteria. You'd spray the formula, then cover it with plastic wrap or a plastic bag (to keep it damp, if it dries, the bacteria stops working, so do not blow dry). A good brand is "OUT" available at Walmart for about $4. (It smells like vanilla.)

*** Any of the above should be tested in an inconspicuous place first to make sure your carpet is colorfast.

Many people don't know just how great peroxide works to fizz out most stains. When I sold my mom's house, I used the peroxide to remove nearly every stain on her carpet. The carpet, looked nasty to begin with, and nearly new when spot treated with the peroxide. Peroxide works best when put in a labeled spray bottle. Simply spray on, wait a minute while it fizzes away the stain, blot, and repeat as many times as needed. Use plain old grocery store peroxide. Do not use the kind you'd bleach your hair with as this is to strong.

The next time you spill milk, first blot with a towel, then pour club soda on stain, you can also cover stain with salt, baking soda, or borax (which will soak it up) let dry, then vacuum a day or so later.

It's a good idea to keep a few small bottles of club soda or fizzy water around the house just in case you need to clean up a stain. Club soda works wonders on clothes, too. Just pour on as soon as you spill, while the stain is fresh. (11/27/2006)

By Cyinda

Milk Odor on Carpet

Odo-Ban from Sam's. Use as directed on label. Very effective and economical, too. (12/03/2006)

By Camilla

Milk Odor on Carpet

Carpet Fresh for pets works. I had spilled a latte in my car and it was awful. I sprinkled the pet Carpet Fresh and the smell was gone within a day. Hope this helps. (05/06/2008)

By Cindy

Milk Odor on Carpet

I had spilled milk in my trunk, I tried steaming, vinegar, and soap. Finally someone told me to put unused coffee grounds on it, worked like a charm, no more milk smell in my car. (01/25/2009)

By golfer

Milk Odor on Carpet
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
spilled milk on carpet
Removing Milk Odors on Carpet
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor