Miniature Schnauzer Breed Information and Photos

white Schnauzer puppy
These small dogs of German origin are one of the most popular terrier breeds. They are know for their ratting skills, lively character and good temperament. This page contains Miniature Schnauzer breed information and photos.

Breed Description: This version of the Schnauzer retains all of the characteristics of the standard-sized Schnauzer-a square shaped body, wiry coat, v-shaped ears, bushy eyebrows, a prominent beard, and a large black nose. This affectionate, obedient breed is playful and alert and makes an ideal small companion dog.

Group: Terrier Group

Purpose of Breed: Bred to be a house pet version of the Standard Schnauzer.

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Ranges from 12 to 14 inches and 13 to 15 pounds.

Color(s): Salt and pepper or black.

Coat Type: Miniature Schnauzers have thick, bushy, outer coats with a wiry texture and dense undercoats.

Grooming: The Miniature Schnauzer sheds very little, but needs to be brushed at least twice a week and trimmed every 5 to 8 weeks. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Miniature Schnauzers are lively dogs that make good house pets providing they receive plenty of exercise.

Temperament: The Miniature Schnauzer is curious, lively and affectionate. This intelligent breed is easy to train, is generally good with children and makes a playful family pet. Clever and strong-willed, Miniature Schnauzers can be prone to barking, but are obedient and willing to please. This breed tends to have a favorite person, but is loving and loyal to the entire family.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to liver disease, kidney stones, skin disorders, cysts and eye problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-14 years.

Trivia: The Miniature, Standard, and Giant Schnauzer, although similar, are all distinctly separate breeds. Miniature Schnauzers have been popular with celebrity owners such as Senator Bob Dole, actress Mary Tyler Moore, and actors Bill Cosby and Bruce Lee.

More Information: American Miniature Schnauzer Club, Inc.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Scruffy is 3 years old and a Miniature Schnauzer. I purchased Scruffy about 2 1/2 years ago from a breeder. He is the sweetest most gentle dog I have ever owned. He gives me morning kisses and paws at me when he wants attention. Truly lovable.

For fun, he loves to play with his half sister Lola, they share the toys and treats although Lola rules the roost. I got her about 6 months after I got Scruffy. From the same breeder. They took to each other instantly. They can be very comical to watch play. Scruffy actually has a prance when he is happy with a treat, but then Lola already having her own treat decides she wants his too and takes it, and of course he lets her.

There is a sad ending to this story. Scruffy was stolen from my yard, managed to get away and is now missing. He was seen in the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago and now nothing. Been to the pound every 3 days to check and I am not giving up. I do believe someone has him and doesn't want to give him up, well neither do I. He is my Scruff Muffin, my cuddle bug and I want him back so bad. So, please don't let your dogs out in the yard alone, they are even stealing big dogs anything full breed draws attention. Thanks for reading and I am sorry if I bummed anyone out.

By LULUbobo from Chicago, IL

schnauzer

Comment Like this photo? 9

This is Peanut, a 13 year old Miniature Schnauzer, and Ma Chat, a 6 year old Blue-Point Mitted Ragdoll cat. They both came from breeders when babies.

Peanut likes to play sock, and play with children, cats, and other dogs. Ma Chat likes to purr, sleep, and snuggle. She also loves cat nip.

This is an old photo. I wanted to enter it in memory of Peanut, our Miniature Schnauzer. Peanut died of pancreatic cancer two weeks ago. She was a wonderful pet. My children dressed her up in doll clothes even and she liked to be pulled around in the wagon. We miss her very much. This photo shows how sweet she was.

By Lorraine from NJ

dog and cat snuggling

Comment Like this photo? 7

Henry is about 4 years old. My sister works with an animal rescue group in California. Henry is a rescue from the pound. She got him as a foster dog, but decided she couldn't give him up and kept him herself. She now has 5 dogs that she has adopted from the 100s of 'foster' dogs she has helped over the last 15+ years.

Henry loves to play with the other dogs in the house. One of his favorite things to do is climb on you when you are floating on an inner tube in the pool and float around with you. He also loves to chase the automatic pool cleaner. He thinks the pool is his private water bowl; he just lets us swim in it.

My sister fell in love with the breed after adopting Henry. When another purebred Schnauzer was given to her to foster, she had to keep him, too. She named him Sherman, and the two Schnauzers are now inseparable. She also has a Great Dane named Artemus, a Sheepdog mix named Fergus, and a black Lab named Gracie.

By Kathy

with another Schnauzer

Comment Like this photo? 18

Bella is 3 and a Miniature Schnauzer. Bella was given to my son, by my mother when he was 10 months old. She knew he was too young for her but, she also knew my dogs were getting old. One of them at the time had cancer so wasn't going to be alive much longer. This was the best way she knew to help us not hurt so bad losing my other dogs. Bella likes to snuggle!

By AJ from Trenton, TX

Bella (Miniature Schnauzer)

Comment Like this photo? 6

My name is Tiny Tim the Terrible Miracle and I am 1 1/2 years old. I'm a Miniature Schnauzer. I'm a product of love between my father Handsome Fella and my loving, beautiful mother Pappys Gretta. I like to chase the girls, and bark at the horses. I'm so small that I get away with just about everything.

My most fun is seeing my girlfriend at the Burger King! I'm so cute I can't stand myself.

By Maplewood from Beaver Co., PA

black puppy

Comment Like this photo? 8

Teasha is a 1 year old Min Black Schnauzer. I got her from a Schnauzer breeder in Wisconsin, March 30th 2010. Teasha likes to play ball, run in the yard, go for long walks and pose for pictures

wearing athletic sweater

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 13

This is Snuggle a Mini Schnauzer. At the time of the picture, she was 18 weeks old. We got her when she was 8 weeks because my sisters apartment building wouldn't let her have her, and we have loved her ever since.

dog being held

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Bailey is a 2 year old AKC Miniature Schnauzer that my granddaughter picked out for me. She used to love to chew on furniture, and then I got Tommy, my 1 year old Miniature Schnauzer.

schnauzer

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Bear is a 4 month old schnauzer. I got him 2 months ago, a gift from my husband.

Schnazer pup

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Lana is a 9 year old Miniature Schnauzer. We have had Lana since conception, her mom is my mom's dog and her dad was my dog.

Miniature Schnauzer on grass

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

NaVaa is a 4 year old Schnauzer. I received her right before Christmas 2006, and we have been inseparable ever since. She likes to play with a basketball outside, all by herself. Doesn't matter the weather.

Dog playing outside.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Olive is 2 years old and a Miniature Schnauzer. I found her through a posting in the paper, she was just 7 weeks old. Olive, like most dogs, enjoys the simple life. Walks, going to the park and just being with her family makes her happy!

closeup of Schnauzer

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

My granddaughter's new pup. His name is Lenny. He is a registered mini-Schnauzer. My son and his wife shopped for him on line and found the one they wanted about two weeks ago.

Lenny - Mini Schnauzer

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Ruthie is 10. She is a White Miniature Schnauzer. I got her when she was 6 weeks old. She likes to go on walks, ride in the car and eat treats! Ruthie enjoys sleeping on the bed like a human with her head on the pillow.

under blankets

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Buttons is 4 years old and Tank is 2 years old, they are Miniature Schnauzers. I was on a trip to Oklahoma and purchased Buttons. Tank is Buttons' first born pup.

dogs outside

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I "rescued" her in about August/September of 2005 - she was a small puppy at the time (turning 1yrs old on December 31st of the same year).

Mini Schnauzer

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

ThunderJack is a 7 year old Mini Schnauzer. He was the only boy of the litter and likes to be chased with his favorite slipper or newspaper. Catch him if you can!

ThunderJack Mini Schnauzer with Slipper in Mouth

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Molly is an 8 year old Miniature Schnauzer. I got Molly in April of 2003. My son-in-law had her father and his groomer had the mother. I got pick of the liter. I picked the female runt and I am so glad I did.

Molly the Dog with a Bow on Her Head

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

I have two Miniature Schnauzers. My male was stolen about a year ago so Lola was so distraught over it I had to get her a playmate. Lola is a little over a year and Lana just turned a year on December 7th.

Schnauzers

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

This is Murphy the Wonderdog, out 2 year old Miniature Schnauzer. We were lucky enough to have been given him as a 6 week old pup and have loved him ever since. He loves to do anything involving movement: run, jump, play, chase squirrels, fetch squeakies. He is a joy to be around - fun, lovable, playful.

looking up

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is Walter, our 10 year old Miniature Schnauzer. We got him at a local pet shop, and who says you can't buy love! He waits patiently for my husband to come home from work so they can play "tug of war" with his rope bone. He is the apple of our eyes and he shares our nightly popcorn with us.

groomed schnauzer

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is Scruffy and Lola, they are Mini Schnauzers. Scruffy is one year old and Lola is 8 months old. I had Scruffy first from a breeder on-line, and loved him so much I had to get another. So 2 months later I got Lola, she is my protector.

Schnauzers

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Lola (Mini Schnauzer)
Lola (Mini Schnauzer)

Lola is 7 months old and a mini Schnauzer. I got her about 3 months ago, through a breeder.

She likes to chase Scruffy (my other dog) around and steal things from him, like they are all hers, a true Leo. They are the love of my live and could not envision life without them.

By Louise

Editor's Note: Here is a previous entry about Lola and Scruffy.

Answers:

Waffles

I love Mini Schnauzers,however, my two mini schnauzers are mixed with dachshund. The sadness news is Pancakes was killed by my neighbor pit bull when she accidentally cross over to the neighbors back yard. I still have Waffles and she the most affectionate dog out of my others pets. (05/22/2008)

By Amanda

Lola (Mini Schnauzer)

Lola is a little sweetie! She sounds like my dachshund/beagle female (13 years old) - she makes my three big dogs (all males) toe the line! Thanks for sharing Lola with us and God bless you. (05/29/2008)

By tedsmom

Lola (Mini Schnauzer)

Lola sounds like a funny little sassy girl. I went
and looked at the pic of Lola with Scruffy
they are too adorable
cute (05/31/2008)

By meoowmom