OtherRepair

Modifying a Carburetor for Briggs and Stratton Horizontal Shaft Engine

I have a Briggs and Stratton 8 HP engine with a horizontal shaft. It has a faulty carb that will run on choke idling, but I have to open the choke to throttle up above 1/4 throttle, otherwise if I leave it shut it will just after-fire (aka back fire but the proper term is after fire) and die. The same goes vice versa if it is idling then the choke has to be all the way shut for it to idle, otherwise it will just studder and die. I have an old Briggs and Stratton 8 hp vertical shaft engine that is blown up. Could I swap parts from the vertical shaft engine and put them in the horizontal engine? Please help me.

Answers

In my experience, it is never a good idea to just mix and match components from different machinery/sources, etc, unless you are certain that they are 100% compatible. Things, from engines to printers to vacuum cleaners are designed with specific parts that fit perfectly with each other and interact perfectly with each other. By swapping with a similar-but-not-exact part, you run the risk of something that does not quite fit, that causes a dangerous malfunction.

I am not familiar with these engines or carburetors so I do not know if they ARE interchangeable, though if one is vertical v horizontal, that to me sounds very different.

YOu could actually TRY it, and see if it works. OF course you run the risk of destroying your engine.

A better option would be to simply go on ebay or orhter parts replacement online shop and investing $20 in a carburetor that you know works. http://www.ebay  +carburetor+8+hp

http://www.erep  ;+stratton+broad