Molasses Sugar Cookies
This is a crisp spice cookie. I make them every Christmas and give some away for gifts. They were my late mother's favorite and it reminds me of her when I make them.
Total Time: About 15 minutes plus 1 hour chilling and 8-10 min.baking time
Yield: Approximately 3 doz.
Source: A recipe on the bottle of Brer Rabbit Molasses
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Melt the shortening in a 3 or 4 quart saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and let cool. Then add sugar, molasses and egg and beat well using an electric hand mixer.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Chill for 1 hour.
- Form into 1 inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place on a greased cookie sheet, a silicon mat or parchment paper. Space about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 375ºF for 8-10 minutes.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!