Mold In a Popup Camper

I have a popup camper that has been closed up for a while and after opening it up I see lots of mold and mildew on the canvas. It is a newer camper with the blue and white canvas, I want to clean it up and need help in finding the right cleaner to make it look nice again.

Thank you for your time!
Max from Bent Mountain, VA

Answers:

Mold In a Popup Camper

Hello, Max, from a fellow pop up camper owner. First of all, you don't mention the brand of pop up camper you have, but generally you want to be "very" careful about what you clean your canvas with. Any type of bleach and/or strong cleansers can seriously damage the water proofing of your pop up's canvas, thus potentially causing some very wet camping experiences. From what I have learned, most manufacturers recommend a solution of very mild soap and water. The best thing to do would be to check in your owner's manual or call the manufacturer directly.

In the future, the best way to prevent mold or mildew, as you probably already know is to make sure your pop up's canvas is completely dry before closing it up. Also, I believe there are some products that you can buy to place in your camper when you're not using it that will also help reduce the risk of mold and mildew, such as Sta-Dri which can be found at RV supply stores.

Here are a couple of links to some great sites with very good info especially for pop up campers:

travelswise.com/ and
popupexplorer.com .

Good luck and happy camping!

Michelle (03/05/2006)

By TxSavr

Mold In a Popup Camper

I had the same problem and I used a solution of 50% water 50% rubbing alcohol. It looks like new. (08/01/2007)

By Amy

Mold In a Popup Camper

I use a warm water and Ivory soap solution on the canvas. Seems to work very well.

(10/11/2007)

By Brian

Mold In a Popup Camper

I use "Microband". It cleans and keeps it off and very safe. Just google it. (01/20/2008)

By rhollister

I have heard White vinegar works, also to prevent mold etc we put a couple of pots of Damprid in camper over the colder months and check it every couple of months, also we have installed a Solar powered fan on our roof of camper which helps also.