Mold in My Basement

My once mold-free basement now stinks with moldy smell. The dehumidifier hasn't stopped it. What can I do to clean it? Stop the mold? Do I have to throw everything away? The carpet, too?

Sten from Marshfield, MA

Answers:

Mold in My Basement

Have you checked the dehumidifier for mold? if there is any way to open the windows and any doors and completely dry out the area it would be great. fans help too. Pull up a corner of the carpet and see if there is any visible mold there. If you can't see it any where you may have to call in professionals that can test for mold. Be aware that there are so many types of mold from harmless to deadly that they are bound to find something and they make it sound like you absolutely have to kill it or you'll get sick. Get the results from them and do your own research and go from there. (08/17/2006)

Ad

By carla bledsoe

Mold in My Basement

This will probably require drastic measures, but will save your possessions. I had a child severley allergic to mold and this method of eliminating it from the basement (the spores were travelling throughout our home via heating ducts) was prescribed by our doctor. It was 35 years ago, and the ingredients may not be readily available, but well worth the effort.

YOU AND ALL PETS AND CHILDREN MUST LEAVE YOUR HOME FOR 24 TO 48 HOURS TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO HUMANS FROM THE PROCESS.

Purchase a 16 or 32 oz bottle of formaldehyde (THIS IS POISON) from a pharmacist or a greenhouse supplier. Lumber yards sometimes carry it too. Wear SAFETY GOGGLE, A MASK AND RUBBER GLOVES while preparing several empty tuna fish cans, pouring 1/2 inch of the liquid into each, and setting them around the area needing decontamination.

All the mold will be totally stopped within a full day and it won't come back if you continue to keep the area dry and dehumidifed.

I am sure that there are professional "fixers" who can do this, but not very frugal. The only cost is the bottle of liquid formaldehyde and the trouble of staying out of the house for a day or more.

As I said, lot of trouble but very reliable and FRUGAL.

(08/17/2006)

By abqjudy

Mold in My Basement

There is a terrific new non-toxic mold product called MoldZyme. It removes mold from any surface safely and effectively and will also remove that musty odor you mention. Go to www.moldzyme.com for product info. (08/18/2006)

By schneid

Comments

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related
In This Article
Mold in My Basement
Next >︎
Categories
August 14, 2007
Guides
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement
unfinished basement
Removing Odors from a Basement
More
🎉
New Years Ideas!
🎄
Christmas Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 8, 2016 at 11:33:52 PM on 10.0.2.166 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!