Mold in My Basement


Every time it rains my basement gets moderately wet. It smells musty but I'm afraid that mold is growing. How can I get rid of that? Any suggestions is appreciated.
Ad


Marsha

Answers:

Mold in My Basement

A professional inspected my house and said one side was covered with mold(fungus). He said it would cost $1,000.00 to remove it. Just then he saw an old toy in the corner and offered to buy it. Not wanting the thing(I'd forgotten all about it) I gave it to him. He was so happy he told me how professionals clean up mold and how to do it myself: put a cup of bleach in 2 gallons of water and spray it on the mold. He said wear 3 masks(the kind that cover your nose and mouth). He said do this once a year or whenever you see mold. Slit open some bags of kitty litter and place them around your basement, they will absorb moisture. Mold has to have moisture to survive. Our local dollar store sells 3 five pound bags of kitty litter in a bundle for $1.00. (08/14/2007)

Ad

By perfume and powder

Mold in My Basement

Bleach with water is the most effective way to get rid of mold. Wear eye protection when using bleach. After mold is removed and to help prevent it from returning, ventilate the cellar. If in a cold climate open cellar windows from April to October. (08/16/2007)

By

Mold in My Basement

We had that problem and it turned out to be the down pipe had been damaged and was blocked. Look around your house and check these pipes. Also check the guttering to make sure they are not damaged as water can run down the side of the house. You need to find out why your basement gets the water. (08/16/2007)

By Gwen2620

Mold in My Basement

I had a BAD mold problem in my classroom where I teach and could get no help, so I took matters in my own hands. After much research, I came across a product called Environmental Air Sponge (google it. Click on the first thing that comes up. The contractor's site is where I bought it). I did a mold sampling before and after and honestly, there was still mold but a lot less colonies. It did seem to help with the odor also, it has a light soapy smell. I would set them out on Friday and by Monday the room would be tremendously better. Worth a shot!

Ad

(08/16/2007)

By *Pat*

Mold in My Basement

Get a dehumidifier! Let it drain into a sink or floor drain if possible and keep it running. Use Dri-Lock paint on your cinder block walls (remove paneling?). Use a small A/C unit in your window well. I didn't use the dri-lock, but use a dehumidifier, fan, and small window a/c unit and my basement no longer has that problem. (08/16/2007)

By mary

Mold in My Basement

After reading the other postings, esp. re: water source for your humidity, I remembered that we packed clay around the perimeter of the house, sloping away. This has prevented any flooding and was extremely cheap, as it was just good ol' clay. It was done by a landscaper. (08/16/2007)

By mary

Mold in My Basement

Just had the same problem, a bag of lime at the home garden center opened up and put in a pillow case. It was supposed to be hung but I left mine on the floor opened and the nasty musty smell was gone in a few days. (08/20/2007)

By Sarah

Mold in My Basement

I had the same problem but the mold would go around my windows in the basement also I got rid of the mold with bleach. Then I put charcoal briquets around the cellar, in each window, anywhere there was a mold issue and it worked. Something in the charcoal drew in the dampness. I have been doing this now for about 5 years, the only problem is remembering to change the briquets. (I honestly have no clue how long they should be out there but I change them monthly). (08/20/2007)

By Lois

Mold in My Basement

A dehumidifier will help, but it is necessary to eradicate the mold that is present in the house. The reason is that use of the dehumidifier will prevent the mold growth from getting any worse, but it will not kill the mold and remove it. If in the future you have any moisture develop from a leak or if your dehumidifier turns off or breaks, this mold could become active within 24 hours.

More information about dehumidifier and mold can be found on http://www.airdehumidifier.com (01/31/2008)

By ngyuming1981

Comments

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related
In This Article
Mold in My Basement
Categories
October 9, 2008
Guides
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement
unfinished basement
Removing Odors from a Basement
More
🎉
New Years Ideas!
🎄
Christmas Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 1, 2016 at 3:30:00 PM on 10.0.0.163 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!