Monarch Butterfly Photos

Category Butterflies
Monarch Butterfly on Flower
These beautiful black and orange butterflies are possibly the best known North American species. This page contains Monarch butterfly photos.

We have to learn to enjoy life's little moments... Otherwise we'd all go insane!

By Christine from Manchester, CT

This page contains red admiral butterfly photos. Seeing a beautiful butterfly gracefully fluttering in the garden is a joyous experience.

Red Admiral Butterfly

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I have been very lucky when it comes to getting close enough to the creatures that I spy in my backyard. I love watching the butterfly's so much. They all seem to have their own personalities too! This particular one was quite playful and didn't mind being photographed.

By myneurotica from Topeka, KS

Monarch Butterfly

Comment Like this photo? 15

I have a very ignored flower garden that has produced some beautiful lantana blooms and has drawn a large family of Monarch butterflies this early fall season here in North Central Louisiana. Yesterday there were four butterflies flittering around the garden, and I was able to snap about 36 photos of them. Here is one I want to share.

By Rita S.

Monarch Butterfly on Flower

Comment Like this photo? 14

Photo Description
This Monarch butterfly was in our very small yard, where she was laying her eggs, on the plant she landed on. She would fly around, come back, lay her eggs, then fly around again and again. She came back for about a week or so to lay her eggs. Then a marvelous thing happened, her babies hatched and ate all of the leaves off the plant. That plant being a tough plant lived and she came back after the leaves grew back and the cycle continued, as she laid more eggs. They hatched and the babies ate all the leaves. Once again, the plant survived and grew its leaves, but we never saw her again. As it got colder, we figured she moved to Mexico for the winter, but we do hope to see her again someday soon!

Photo Location
My very small front yard, in sunny, San Diego, California, zone 10.

Comment Like this photo? 2

This is a butterfly that I found on our front porch. He wasn't alive when I found him, so I put him in a paper bowl that I had. I took him to my children's elementary school, so they could all see it close up and enjoy all of its beautiful details.

By Kathy K.

Comment Like this photo? 62

Out among the flowers on a sunny day came this beautiful Monarch butterfly. He stayed awhile, adding his beautiful hues to the garden colors. The richness of the colors he exhibits is beyond description. Truly one of the radiant tones in the garden of nature.

By Bob35 from Santa Barbara, CA

Monarch Butterfly (Santa Barbara, CA)

Comment Like this photo? 5

Here is a view of the Butterfly worm I found. It was attached to the back of a Milkpod leaf. I brought it home and it ate the leaves, then attached itself upside down on the container. A couple of days later it had a green cocoon around it. For three days it hung there. The next thing I see is it is all black. Then it slowly slides out of the cocoon, and it is a BEAUTIFUL MONARCH BUTTERFLY!

I hope the pictures can explain the process better than I can.

By Mary from LeRoy, IL

Monarch Butterfly

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I was trying out a digital camera I bought at a garage sale a couple of summers ago and happened to get a close up picture of a monarch butterfly sitting on a butterfly weed plant in my garden.

Comment Like this photo? 5

A Monarch butterfly and honey bee feeding at my hummingbird feeder.

Butterfly and honeybee on feeder

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

A local gang congregating in my alley. Picture of butterlies.

Butterflies in the Alley

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This was my last day living at this house that I loved, it had a beautiful butterfly garden, and this gorgeous friendly Monarch let me snap away at her/him for 30 minutes. I was able to get some wonderful photo memories of my garden and also this delightful garden-friend who gave me such a wonderful good-bye gift!

By Mia

A Monarch with it's wings open on the white flowers of the butterfly bush in the backyard. They visit from early July to as late as October on their way to Mexico. They cover a distance of 2,000 miles.

By Evelyn from McHenry, IL

Monarch Butterfly on Butterfly Bush

Answers:

Monarch Butterfly on Butterfly Bush

OMG, I luv it! I love monarchs and didn't get a chance to get a pic of it. I walked out one morning to get the mail and there was a black butterfly with blue on wings, by the time I got the camera it flew away. I went to the backyard and it had landed on a tarp so he turned toward me long enough to snap a pic and away he went. God's creatures are so wonderful. Thanks for sharing such a lovely picture (oh yeah I have my order in for Mother's Day already, butterfly bushes LOL) (09/25/2006)

By grammar

Monarch Butterfly on Butterfly Bush

Nice butterfly! Wow. I am familiar with Mchenry. (09/25/2006)

By Debbie

Monarch Butterfly on Butterfly Bush

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. (09/26/2006)

By msettamae2

Monarch At Butterfly Exhibit
Monarch At Butterfly Exhibit
I recently took my daughter to a butterfly exhibit at a local greenhouse. They charged a small admission, and this served as a fundraiser for a children's organization. There was one section of the greenhouse closed off and full of butterflies and flowers they liked. The kids got to dip their fingers in sugar water and the butterflies would land on their fingers to take in the "nectar." She loved learning about the beautiful butterflies and it was a great photo op.

By Jayme from Harrisonburg, VA

This is a picture of a butterfly (monarch?), that I took on my sunflowers. The colors all looked so pretty together and he opened his wings and just posed for me. What a beauty!

By Timmie from St. Louis, MO

Monarch? Butterfly

Monarch? Butterfly

Answers:

Monarch Butterfly

What a beautiful picture! You are quite an accomplished photographer, too. Thanks for sharing with us. (09/12/2006)

By tedsmom

Monarch Butterfly

Wow, are these ever beautiful pictures. I haven't been able to get a picture of a monarch this year, so thanks for sharing. (09/12/2006)

By grammar

Monarch Butterfly

Gorgeous photos, thank you for sharing! (09/12/2006)

By meoowmom

Monarch Butterfly

That's a beautiful picture!!Just to share, several years ago I witnessed a monarch migration with hundreds of thousands of them less than 1/4 mile from my home back in Chillicothe, MO. I watched in awe as they came through and stopped just for the briefest time in a tree and then took off again. It was the most beautiful sight. I don't remember which season it was, but had to be decent out as they can't handle temperatures below 55 according to the net and 40 would kill them. They migrate twice a year, that was the first and last time I ever witnessed that, and I so wish I had a camcorder on me at the time. (09/12/2006)

By loridawn1956