More Flea Questions

I was wondering if anyone has heard of using Vaseline on a cat for a bad infestation of fleas and eggs or nest? My cat lives in my basement and he comes upstairs at night, he was outside for 1 day and got a bad case of fleas, which I just found.

His poor genitals and head and ears had hard crusty eggs, I guess is what they are. He had even a sore on his tail where he had scratched and bit the hair off. I rubbed him down with Vaseline to soften the places and worked my hands through for a long time to loosen up the eggs and worked them out. I hope this won't do any harm, I know the flea collars and the over the counter flea medicine did not work. Also, they say to use a little Vaseline on them to relieve hairballs.

Would anyone know if this is safe and will not harm my cat? I had to do something when I saw his condition. Thanks.

View related article.
- Becky

Help! My Pomeranian has been taken hostage by fleas and he won't stop chewing. What can I do to get rid of the fleas?
- KMeyers