Mosquito Repellent for Dogs

What is a good mosquito repellent for dogs?

By dw1959

Mosquito Repellent for Dogs

I have 2 Dachshunds and I spray them with "Off!" and it works great. Another suggestion would be to attach a dryer sheet to the dog's collar. Another: Wipe the dog down with Avon Skin-So-Soft. Don't forget the belly and legs all the way to the feet. (07/22/2009)

By Cricketnc

Mosquito Repellent for Dogs

The dryer sheet and Skin-So-Soft is a great idea, but personally I have to say stay clear of bug repellents that contain Deet (Off contains Deet) :-( Sorry Cricketnc :-(

Deet affects the central nervous system and can cause life long motor skill damage. Even just mild motor loss is a big deal. It affects both animals and children far more than adults. Google "Hazzards of Deet" and you will get the picture after reading just the first three or four links.

I am highly allergic to bug bites, but I stopped using repellents containing Deet years ago because after about a month of using it a couple times a week I realized I was feeling wobbly and nauseous after using it each and every time.

Anyway, I experimented with a few things and what I came up with is lightly spraying myself with over the counter drug store strength rubbing alcohol (rubbing alcohol has a bit of oils in it so less drying to skin than full strength ispropyl). One word of common sense caution: keep it away from eyes, nose, and mouth.

I keep a couple small spray bottles in my home and use the alcohol to squirt those little flies that love to hang out in the sink drain during the spring, regular flies, the occasional bee that came in and can't get directed back outside and definitely mosquitoes on my patio ;-)

Of course, there are also lots of non-Deet repellents on the market, but rubbing alcohol costs a lot less money ;-)

By Deeli

Mosquito Repellent for Dogs

The previous replies may be a good idea for a repellent. If you let your dogs out into your yard a lot, it is recommended that you ensure that your property is cared for so you will not have high levels of mosquito activity.

It is essential that you eliminate any stagnant water such as bird baths, old tires, and clogged gutters. Mosquitoes need very little water to breed.

These are just a few tips on decreasing mosquito populations on your property so that not only your dog is protected, but your family is also. (08/04/2009)

By JP McHale Pest Management

Mosquito Repellent for Dogs
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews