Moth Ball Odor

I have a dresser in my son's nursery that has been used as a storage chest at my parents house for the last ump-teen years. When I brought it home, I let it sit outside and air out to get rid of the odor. Well, that didn't work and now everytime I take something out of the drawers to put on him, he reeks of eau-du-moth ball. I've tried white bread in white vinegar, lysol and baking soda. What can I do to get rid of the moth ball scent so that I can use the dresser. Currently I'm using our guest bed as his dresser. I don't want to get rid of the dresser as it was used in my nursery. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get rid of the moth ball stinch? Thanks so much for your help!

Moth Ball Odor

This might seem a bit radical, but if all else fails you may want to try painting the inside of the dresser (and the interior surfaces of each drawer) with the paint they use in houses that have been exposed to fire. They call it perfume paint and it is supposed to absorb odors in the house so you can't smell the smoke that has soaked into the walls.

Good luck!
Cristi (07/09/2003)

By ThriftyFun

Moth Ball Odor

It seems I've read somewhere of a way of using newspapers crunched up and put in the drawers, or even putting chunks of charcoal in the drawer. They are both suppose to absorb odors.
Good Luck with that. Diane (07/09/2003)

By yesmine

Moth Ball Odor

I know this post was a while back, but for future purposes..

Try placing a bag of cedar chips in the dresser. You can get ziplock bags with holes in them for storing vegetables in your refrigerator. You could place the cedar chips in the bag and place it in the drawer. The cedar should absorb the odor and replace it with a kinder cedar scent. (05/07/2004)

By Tawnda

Removing Mothball Odor
Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Smell From Your House