Moving Tips

Tips to help you save time and money when moving. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Moving Tips

My tip is to help people save money who are in the unfortunate, but common place of having to move themselves either by choice or when their company relocates a spouse and won't pay for moving expenses. While these expenses are tax deductible, which is a plus, they are also time consuming, labor intensive, and expensive.

"Use what you have" as packing material rather than buying expensive bubble wrap and shipping paper, ie: use your clothing (which you're going to have to pack anyway) to wrap fragile items before placing in a box.

Get your moving boxes for free from liquor stores and grocery stores. Just talk to the manager first and they'll start saving them for you, you can also check out the dumpsters at these stores or at the local recycling center.

Never wrap china in newspaper, because the news print could come off on the china and you'd have to wash each piece by hand, individually before you could put them away in your new residence. I found a free way to overcome this. I wrap each piece of china and crystal in a plastic grocery bag which I've saved from year-long trips to the supermarket (or ask your neighbors to save them for you for a few weeks or months. you'd be surprised how fast these things add up); and then I wrap them in old newspaper; again something I'm receiving on a daily basis and can save or ask neighbors to do so. This tip has a two-fold effect of saving money and recycling items at least one more time before they hit the landfill.

Once you reach your new community check out the local recycling centers to dispose of the bags and newspapers, and check with the local animal shelter too. They often need newspaper.

By Debbie (08/25/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Moving Tips

I like to wrap china in face cloths, tea towels , napkins, etc. Lamps and breakable ornaments are wrapped with pillow cases, towels, or table cloths. Put pillows and bedding in the fridge if it is going. Keeps the shelves stable. (08/25/2005)

By siris

Moving Tips

When moving, whether loading your rented moving truck or using your own truck, when recently helping a pal move, I noticed that they left the clothing in the drawers, in the bedroom dressers. Her reasoning was, so nothing got lost.

When we moved, instead of packing away the blankets, we used them for the drawers. We took the drawers out of the dressers and covered them with the blankets. We were able to stash the blanket wrapped drawers in the small spaces, leftover near the top of the truck, comfortably, by doing this, the dressers were not as heavy as they'd be for the persons loading the furniture. You want them to be able to help with the complete move, so make it as easy for them, as possible.

After the move, remove the blankets from the items you wrapped them with, identify the contents of the drawers and insert them in the correct pieces of furniture.

By Terri from NV (11/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Moving Tips
Older Cat
Moving an Older Cat
Alabama Sign
Moving to Alabama
Duck eggs in a nest.
Moving Duck Eggs
Woman Putting Cat in Cat Carrier in Car
Moving With Pets
🎉
🎄