Craftsman LT 2000 Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
There are a number of reasons a mower won't start. Diagnosing the cause is the first step to making the necessary repair. This is a guide about Craftsman LT 2000 riding mower won't start.

I have a Craftsman Lt2000 model 247280904 that will not get gas to the cylinder though, it does turn over. I have a new starter and battery, but when you go to start all it wants to do is crank and spin, but not start. I have checked all the gas lines. The carburetor is cleaned and it's getting spark and combustion. Any help would be appreciated!

By Terry

Best Answer

I had the exact same issue on a 17 HP Kohler. After scratching my head for a couple hours, I just happened to notice the gas tank looked like it was under pressure. I took the gas cap off and the tank released the pressure and it fired right up. I put the cap back on and it stalled out after about a minute. Long story short, the vent hole on the gas cap was clogged and after cleaning and boring the hole out a little, the issue was resolved. May not be your issue, but an easy place to start.

Sounds like your exhaust valve seat blew out. Is it a OHV engine?

I have a Craftsman LT2000 that will crank, but not turn over. The engine is an Intek 19.5 hp Briggs and Stratton. The model is 31P677 0804 B1. I have spark, I changed out the fuel solenoid and grounded it to the block with the key on and it moves in and out. I've taken off the flywheel and the key is in place. The gap between the flywheel and ignition thing is gapped correctly. It has a new plug and fuel filter. I am getting fuel to the carb when I put gas in the cylinder it will backfire once.

By Shawn K.

Best Answer

Sounds like your exhaust valve seat blew out.

My LT 2000 Craftsman lawn tractor won't start unless you spin it over with your hand a few turns. Then it will start, but not all the time. The starter is good. What could be problem?

There is a switch under the seat. You can try disconnecting it and reconnecting it.

Has it been a while since you last used it?

If you are still having problems you might want to contact a Sears technician - easy to do and they usually answer your questions right away. You can fill out a form, chat on line, or call them directly.

Here is a link to their information and also a link to download your manual - in case you have misplaced yours.

http://www.sear … al?manualIndex=0

http://www.sear … ctor-repair.html

I have a Lt 2000 18.5 hp Craftsman rider lawn mower that was given to me. The previous owner said it ran great and the only problem was it needed the gas lines repaired. I repaired all of the gas lines, but it will not start. I turn the key and it cranks or spins, but then stops. If I take the sparkplug out it spins like crazy. I did it for a few minutes (figured it was flooded). I put a new spark plug in and the same thing happens. What am I missing?

There is a switch under the seat. You could try disconnecting it and reconnecting it.

when it first happened to me I had to put a fuel filter and a shut off valve in the gas line. That fixed my problem.....

I have a Craftsman LT2000 riding Mower. I was mowing the yard the other day, dis-engaged the blade to go in reverse, then put it in drive and re-engaged the blade deck. When I did this, the engine shut off and will not re-start. When I tried to re-start it at first, it ran for a few seconds and died out and will now not start up. It turns over and over, but will not fire up.

I bought a new plug, new air filter, checked the carb and the solenoid, seat and plunger, all seems to be working good. It seems to have stopped running when I engaged the blade to keep mowing. It is getting fuel to the carb, and the engine is cranking over, but won't start.

Anyone have any ideas? I may smell a little fuel in the oil - could that be the issue? I have attached some pics to this post.

There should be no fuel in the oil. You might have a leak somewhere.

I have a 2013 lt 2000 Craftsman riding mower. I've changed the solenoid, the starter, and the battery, to no avail. It only clicks rapidly at the solenoid. I tried to jump the mower right at the starter and it will not turn over at all. It just sparks. Any ideas please?

I have a Craftsman LT 2000 that won't start. It has fire. I got it from an old man that had work done on it before and they wired it directly. Now it won't start, any ideas?

By Harley from TX

Answers:

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Could have burned out a safety switch. This is why techs don't run jump wires to test your safety switches, you will need an ohm meter. If you get a reading of zero in the open position, replace the switch. If you don't know which is open or closed, measure from both sets of terminals, if you get two readings of zero, the switch is bad. Check your PTO, seat, and parking brake switches. (09/15/2010)

By revravyid