Mower With a Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start

I have a Briggs and Stratton riding lawn mower, Model 42A707. I just replaced the battery. When I turn the key, you can hear the starter spinning, but the gear on the top of the starter will not pop up to engage the motor gear. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

By Pengteo from Redmond, WA

Answers:

Mower with a Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start

I asked my husband about this one and he says: Two possibilities come to mind. One is the cellanoid which makes the starter engage the flywheel and could be stuck. Two is the pin that holds the gear in place could be missing, or the gear on the shaft could be stripped off the starter. Pull the starter out and check it. All the little clogs would be gone on the gear if it needs replacing. (04/07/2009)

By Lorelei

Lorelei, your husband is good! I found the plastic piece broken and fly wheel could not go up. So I removed it and brought it to a repair shop. They replaced it with a new fly wheel, plastic, spring. It was tested fine at the shop. I brought it home, installed it back...guessed what, that fly wheel won't engage with engine wheel. It just spins and spins but will not pop up. I called the shop guy and he said simply remove all spark plugs..but it was the same situation. And he is off the clock at 5pm. Any input?
(04/07/2009)

By pengteo