Lawn MowersMachines

Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers

I have a Briggs and Station 14.5 42in and it won't start. It acted like it wanted to start, then just stop making any noise. I charged the battery and it has 1/4 tank of gas. Still nothing. Any ideas?

I do light tech for lawn and garden equipment, so I may be of some help. Not knowing whether you have a push mower or a riding mower, I am giving you the trouble shooting for a push mower that will not start.

Unit will not start

Possible Causes -- Corrective Actions

1 Control handle is not engaged -- Engage control handle

2 Spark plug wire is disconnected -- Connect spark plug wire

3 Fuel tank empty or stale fuel -- Replace with clean, fresh gas

4 Blocked fuel line -- Clean fuel line

5 Faulty spark plug -- Replace, clean, or adjust gap

6 Engine flooded -- Wait to restart, do not prime

7 Air filter filled with dirt or debris -- Replace or clean air filter

Try these and if they don't work, you will have to check with a service center. Good Luck!

Have you checked the fuses? My son's riding mower wouldn't crank. Blown fuse was problem. Locate your fuse box and check out.

I had the same issues; try starting and 'click' or a longer hold on the key would finally start it up, however, Tried the turning of the cooling fan into a position where resistance was felt and it worked sometimes, I received this from other posts. I prefer a permanent fix not a makeshift one.

So here is my fix:

Checked that the battery was fully charged (it was), did a once over of all the electrical connections (all good), adjusted valves (a few were extremely loose, they need to have a 0.004" gap) this did the trick! It starts evertime now just like it was from factory. If your a do-it-yourself type person there are some you tube videos on line that will show you the valve adjustment procedures.

I had same problem for two years. had to buy new push mower. Sears came out the following year and found the ground wire attached to mower frame came loose. You can not start engine without a ground. I did the same as you but bought two new battery thinking that would work.