Mr. and Mrs. Santa Made from Reader's Digest Magazines

Category Decorations
Cute decorations can be made by folding the pages of magazines. This is a guide about Mr. and Mrs. Santa made from Reader's Digest magazines.

Does anyone have instructions for making a Readers Digest Santa Claus?

I got these from the archived santa museum website, they don't really have pictures but other sites do: http://web.arch  throughtime.html

"Readers Digest: A Crafters Dream, circa 1970s

One of the more interesting Santas in the museum is made of a Reader's Digest magazine. Creating Santas from this magazine was a popular crafting activity in the mid-1970's.

Here are the directions for making your own Reader's Digest Santa!

Remove the covers from the Reader's Digest. Fold the page diagonally from the top right corner to the center of the book and then fold the remainder of the page in half lengthwise. Fold each page this way and then glue the last page to the first page. When you have finished the book, spray paint the outside white. Cover all but the "tummy" with red fabric of your choice (ie felt, velour, velvet, velveteen, etc...). Add a head (she used a pre-made Santa & Mrs. Santa head), Santa's hat, and Mrs. Santa's bonnet. If you want you can use a piece of white fabric over the "tummy" area. She would also paint the bottom of Santa with a little black paint for his boots. Be sure to add a belt around Santa at the point where the diagonal & the straight fold meet."

and this site has more extensive, updated instructions: http://www.allf  paperback-santa/

and this old thriftyfun trhead has cool pictures http://www.thri  t-Magazines.html

Here is a link to the instructions: http://www.allf  paperback-santa/

A few years back I made Mr. and Mrs. Santa out of Reader's Digest. I would like to make them again, but can't find the heads or faces I used. Does anyone know where I can purchase them? I think they were made of rubber, but plastic would do. They should be around 3-4 inches. Thanks.

By Janet from Minooka, IL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My aunt and uncle had a set of these made for me about thirty years ago. Because of moving several times over the years, they came-up missing. My set looked a lot like these but with a couple of added features. Mrs Claus had a red felt dress and Santa had his signature coat that was also made of red felt. Both of mine also had white curly hair made with white fiber stuff that can be purchased at any craft store.

If anyone has the pattern for these, could you please forward it on to me at LilMouse2U@hotmail.com? I would greatly appreciate it.

Remember, "Jesus is the reason for the season."

God bless, Susan

Does anyone have the pattern for Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus made from old Readers Digest books? My great aunt made them years ago, and I'd like to make some now. I'm sorry, but I don't have a picture to post. I know you folded the pages somehow, then painted them, added red felt, a black belt (felt I think), belt buckle, cotton for the beard and hair. Any help is appreciated.

Paula from Kosciusko, MS

Answers:

Mr. and Mrs. Santa - Made from Reader's Digest Magazines

I found these directions, with no picture, on the Santa Claus Museum site: santamuseum.org. Perhaps you can take a picture and post it when you've made one. It would seem that photos of this project are scarce. Since you remember your aunt's Santas, you can probably figure out the directions easily. I look forward to seeing the finished Santa. (11/01/2008)

By Luvyabye

allfreecrafts.com

This site offered instructions and a picture. (11/01/2008)

By kghsave

Here's another good site. It also has directions for a snowman.

santalady.com (11/03/2008)

By starxmn

I received these as a gift from my mother back in the 70s. It's nice that the pattern is available online. Mine were stored for a few years and had some damage to the bunting which I removed and will replace. It was nice having them as my centerpiece again. (01/04/2009)

By CissyD

RE: Mr. and Mrs. Santa - Made from Reader's Digest Magazines