CrochetCrafts

Multi Colored Place Mat Using Chainless Foundation

I just learned how to do a chainless foundation and I am hooked, get it?

A friend asked me to make her some bright place mats, my choice for the colors. I thought of how many cool shades there are of each color, so I did a bright, lighter, and lightest. However, she didn't have the perfect shades I wanted. Yours will be much better I am sure and you too can make them any colors you want.

For the chainless foundation, I am going to link you to a tutorial that will show you you. Much easier for me and better for you.

http://www.lionbrand.com/blog/video-how-to-do-a-chain-less-foundation-row/

Total Time: 1-2 hours

Yield: 1

1. When your first chainless row is 59 long, chain 1 and turn, making a single crochet and skipping a stitch to make a single crochet in the 3rd stitch.
    NOTE: When you make a chainless foundation, you are basically making the base row and the first row. Keeping that in mind, your first "row" will be just the foundation row and one more, while all the others will be three rows.
  2. It's important to make an uneven number of stitches so you don't have a half double on the very end of your work. Each beginning and end should be a single with the other half doubles and singles in between.
  3. Ad

4. A linen stitch is when you make a single crochet then chain 1 and skip 1 to make a single in the 3rd stitch. It is one of my favorite stitches and once you get started, it's fun. So, you have now added the second color. Make two singles in the first stitch of the previous row, chain 1 and make a half double in the previous row, as far down as you can. Draw it up with enough tension to not be loose and not too much to bunch up. It's the Goldilocks principal. Work this stitch with a single two stitches from the half double and keep this pattern to the end of the row.
  5. Ad

6. Notice when you look at the photos, that each half double is directly above the last one. This is key. You will even find that there is a strategic "spot" for it that makes it easier to keep your pattern straight. For each other non "half double" rows, or two out of three, you simply make a single in every other stitch. Your work is in rows of 3 darker colors, then 3 lighter colors, then 3 lightest colors. You can work them all the same, but the half double doesn't show very well.
  7. Ad

NOTE: When you begin your chainless base row, don't be surprised if it curves. Mine did but when you begin with the other rows, it will work itself out. I was going to put a slip stitch border on but I had a dying phone and no charger. Go figure. This is a pretty cool stitch. You can make anything from hot pad to afghan. NJOY!