Murray Riding Mower Dies When Put in Gear

I have a Murray riding mower model 405000X8. It starts fine and idles fine. Put it in gear and it dies. It also dies when I engage the blade. It will not go forward or backward without shutting down. Thanks for your help.

By Walt

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Are you giving it enough power. Safety features require you to be seated with the brake on when you put it in gear or reverse so it doesn't jump. It will not mow in reverse, another safety feature. Perhaps you know all this.

Another thought, how's the fuel filter?

May 28, 2013 Flag

The engine on my riding mower will start and run while the clutch is pushed in. Let off on clutch and engine dies. I have cleaned the carb with cleaner and installed new spark plugs.

By Jean

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The engine on my riding mower will start and run while the clutch is pushed in. Let off the clutch and engine dies.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 28, 2011
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Dies When Put in Gear
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Mom and 3 girls Camping in the Rain
Camping in the Rain
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 1:27:24 PM on 10.0.2.91 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.