Mushrooms on My Lawn

Q: I was wondering if I could get some information on how to remove mushrooms from my lawn, they seem to appear the past few years.

Thanks for the advice.

Wendola from Michigan

A: Wedonla,

Mushrooms appear after periods (or growing seasons) that are wetter than usual. It's actually not a bad sign, as it means your soil is full of wonderful organic matter for them to extract nutrients from. Unfortunately, if you don't like how they look, or you're afraid of them being mistakenly eaten, you can rake them up, but there is very little you can do to stop them from growing. The part you see above ground (the mushroom) is only the fruiting or reproductive structure of the fungi, which helps the plant reproduce by releasing spores from the gills underneath its cap. The majority of the plant's growth is actually underground. To keep the mushrooms from reaching the age where they release their spores, you can either pick them or dig them out to minimize their spreading. Keep in mind that if you compost them, the spores may eventually find their way back into your garden via the compost, so you might be better off just throwing them away. Due to their size, fairy rings (mushrooms growing in large circles) can complete with your lawn for nutrients and even cause damage. Maintaining an adequate level of nitrogen in your soil and watering your lawn deeply will ensure that it has the nutrients it needs to compete with the mushrooms. Mushrooms usually appear in cycles so don't worry, they will probably peter out and eventually disappear.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Mushrooms on My Lawn

Mushrooms show that you have great soil. (06/06/2006)

By Kat

Mushrooms on My Lawn

Seems in my research there is nothing you can do. Just pick them out each morning to prevent spreading and when the organic matter is gone they will go away. Looks like watering less may help as well. Good luck. (06/18/2006)

By Mike

Mushrooms on My Lawn
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Large Jar of Canned Mushrooms
Canning Mushrooms
Mushrooms cooking in a skillet.
Sauteing Mushrooms
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
🎉
🎄