Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

I have a wool skirt that smells musty. It was stored in a plastic container along with some Christmas ornaments, magazines, stuffed animals, craft items. They all smell musty and the container also. Can these smells be removed and will it come back? I want to keep these items and not get rid of them.

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

I have never tried this, but read somewhere, that vinegar will remove mildew and the musty smell of mildew without the smell of vinegar lingering. I told this to a good friend who has a boat, and with the wetness on a boat, there was also mildew. So he tried it (could not use bleach on colored carpet) and said it worked great, and he was surprised. Now he keeps a spray bottle of vinegar on the boat to stay on top of the mess. (12/19/2004)

By Carol

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

Try sprinkling some baking soda on the bottom of the bin, or get one of those Arm & Hammer fridge baking soda boxes. I use baking soda to eliminate odors around my house. (12/19/2004)

By julializ80

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

I would spray down the skirt & stuffed animals with some fabric freshener & toss them in the clothes dryer for a few minutes. I would also spray the other things with the freshener too. Of course, try it in an inconspicuous place first, to make sure it won't damage the color. (12/31/2004)

By FrugalFriend

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Musty Shoes
Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine