Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

I have handmade Christmas ornaments made of material, Styrofoam, and dress pins. They were in the basement and got wet and now smell musty. Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell?

Megan from Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada

Answers:

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

Last year I bought Christmas tree decorations from an eBayer which did not say she was a smoker and the string fake plastic candy garland just reeked of smoke. Knowing I could not wash it, I bought one of the air fresheners that you lift the tops on with the gel freshers inside. I got a really strong odor scent, like pine tree and then also got a cinnamon one too (I had 2 very long strands). I put each one in a new large garbage bag and opened the fresher up all the way and set it inside the bag with the garland and closed it up tight with a strong knot.

I left it in the bags closed tightly for 3-4 weeks and now they smell like the scent of the fresher not smoke. Try that maybe it will work for yours. Dollar store brand is what I used. Each one was $1 and it's holiday time now so they will have lots of holiday scents to choose from. (11/12/2008)

By theseamstress

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

You might try wrapping them in newspaper for a few weeks. Someone on this site said using newspaper would remove musty smells. It worked for me. I put a quilt of my great grandmother's in my cedar chest. It did not smell, the next time i opened the chest everything smelled musty. I layered everything in newspaper. Now no musty smell. I thought everything was ruined. That tip saved my cedar chest and lot of quilts and clothes. (11/13/2008)

By Cindy in TX

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

Try sealing them in a plastic bag with either baking soda, or coffee grounds, or both. Both of these substances are good for removing all kinds of odors. (11/13/2008)

By louel53

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

Spray lightly, do not soak, with vinegar and let air dry. The vinegar will kill any mildew and the smell will dissipate after it has been dry for a few hours. It may take a few applications, but it will work. I used this on some ornaments that had gotten moldy (a snowglobe broke in the storage box) and it worked great! (11/13/2008)

By chriself

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

Spray them down with white vinegar and hang them outside under the carport or porch. I let some things hang about a week and when I went back they smelled so fresh. (11/14/2008)

By reniesue

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

Try charcoal briquettes: store in a closed box, being careful not to get them dirty, open and check in one week. Repeat, if necessary. (11/16/2008)

By mklema92658

Musty Odor on Christmas Decorations

Try the odor neutralizer product from BioWorld Products in Visalia, California. I've used it for several years for all types of musty smells and other household odor problems. It works great and is simple to use. I hate unpleasant odors, so I keep it on my shelf for whenever I need it. Hope this helps! (11/17/2008)

By Ronda Guest Post

Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Musty Shoes
Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
🎉
🎄