Musty Smell In Front Load Washer

*Fixed* There is a drain hose next to the Filter (little trap door). Drain this line and clean the filter.

Using vinegar or bleach, clean the front rubber seal inside that touches the tub, you'll see lint buildup

Stop using fabric softener. Switch to Tide HE Power, and a small amount is all that is needed. Remember to remove the liquid tray for powder use.

By ahardytx from Keller, TX

Answers:

Musty Smell In Front Load Washer

Bio-Kleen. (biokleenhome.com) I have a bottle of their Bac-Out concentrate for stain removal. Since the concentrate can be used to de-clog drains, I emailed their customer service to see if I could use it in my washing machine. They said the natural enzymes in Bac-Out are perfect for cleaning the smelly gunk in water drains and advised me to use the cold water wash (hot water would kill the enzymes). I put 1/2 cup of the Bac-Out concentrate in the bleach filter of my front loading washer and ran a cold wash with a few rags. The bad moldy smell is gone. Yay! (03/28/2010)

By trinap

Musty Smell In Front Load Washer

We've tried everything posted on internet at least once with disappointing results. Affresh, bleach, wiping the interior, adjusting the drain hose, cleaning out the drain port, leaving the door open, etc. and nothing worked for long. Then I read a post somewhere which suggested simply trying powdered detergent. Blam, two days later smell almost completely gone.

Two months later we've basically forgot we ever had the problem. Towels are fresh smelling again. I'm rarely one to post comments, but this worked. We use dry detergent (HE type) into the front of the loader (not in the detergent dispenser). We never leave the front open. We never wipe the interior. We never use bleach. I have not idea why liquid detergents make front load washers smell, but it does. Best of luck to all! (04/12/2010)

By Joe Schmoe

Musty Smell In Front Load Washer

Washing machine problems?
Bad Smell?
Error Codes?

Today while using my Kenmore front loading washer I got an error code E20 and it did not finish it's cycle! We have had foul odors while washing our clothes for a few months now.

I searched the internet for a solution and found one.

It suggested I get a wet/dry shop vac and vacuum out the water, then vacuum out the hoses and then locate the pump to the washing machine and vacuum that out as well and also reverse the vacuum if you can, then hook it up again. So I did that, ran a cycle when it came time to drain I heard the pump make a funny noise and then a pop. The hose popped off at the pump. I had water everywhere! Oh no! Oh well, it went down the sewer drain anyway, so I unplugged it and opened it back up to reconnect the hose again only to find my 1 year old son's sock had come out of the pump.and yes it stunk. Check your washing machine's pump, there is a possibility you have a blockage in the pump.

While using the shop vac the water it was picking up smelt like raw sewage, but it's working like a charm now. (05/03/2010)

By fixitnow

Musty Smell In Front Load Washer

It's nice that there are temporary remedies. However, if you do a search on front loading washer class action suits, you may find that you have the opportunity to join in a suit. Various firms are handling suits against different manufacturers. One should not expect to pay a premium price on a Duet, e.g., and go to extraordinary means to keep one's clothes from having a musty smell.

I used various cleaners and replaced the rubber front gasket and even used a toothbrush to clean around the door (the entire circumference). The only thing I haven't tried is to get at the filter in the lower part of the washer. I'm told that one can remove the screws to get at the filter for the Whirlpool Duet, but have a bucket of some type to catch all the filthy water. Keeping the door open is not going to help. I suspect that if one washed every day, no mildew/mold would accumulate once it's cleaned. Best of luck. (06/15/2010)

By TopHat

Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
Front Loading Washer
Buying a Front Loading Washer With Reversible Door
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
Front Load Washer
Front Load Washer Makes Noise During Final Rinse Cycle
🎉
🎄