Musty Smell on Clothing

How do you get the smell out of clothes and towels that have a moldy, unfresh odor?

By Bonnie from Bardstown, KY

Answers:

Musty Smell on Clothing

I hate when I leave towels in the washer too long and that happens to me. I always just wash again with more soap, usually 1 1/2 - 2 times my normal soap amount just to be sure the smell is gone. You can wash on hot, depending on what fabrics you are washing, or you can try some color safe bleach. Washing again always helps me. And if your washer itself smells, do a cycle with no clothes and just bleach or vinegar to kill and remove the smell. (03/02/2010)

By sophiacarney

Musty Smell on Clothing

I always buy light colored towels so I can bleach them (because bleach kills the germs, mold, and mildew). But you can also use the U.V. rays of the sun by drying, or just hanging your clothes out in the hot afternoon sunshine. Also, lemon juice from the dollar store can be added to your rinse cycle. You can put amber colored original Listerine or plain rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle and spray this on to musty clothes, it can help kill germs (be sure they are completely dry before putting them away!). Don't use the other kinds of Listerine (like mint or orange) because these kinds have a sweetener added. For just bad odors, use Febreze. For smoke (like cigarettes or campfires) add one can of classic Coca Cola (not sugar-free) to your wash load with your regular detergent. (03/02/2010)

By Cyinda

Musty Smell on Clothing

1/2 - 1 cup of white vinegar in the wash cycle. (03/02/2010)

By MCW

Musty Smell on Clothing

Leaving your washer lid open helps also, it won't allow any water to collect and sour therefore going right back into your clothes. This helped me thanks to a TF reader. (03/04/2010)

By latrtatr

Musty Smell on Clothing

As long as they're clean, you can put them in the freezer for an hour or two. This kills any bacteria that may be causing the smell. When you take them out they should be fine! (03/04/2010)

By its_me7811

Musty Smell on Clothing

I have done the vinegar and it did work. But I must tell you, so did placing the clothes in the freezer for a few minutes. Science at work, very smart postings! You have all saved an 18 gallon tub of hubby's clothes that stunk to heaven and back. Thanks so much. (05/16/2010)

By kab157

Musty Smell on Clothing

Use about 1/2 cup off brand pine cleaner (I like the stuff at Target) in a load of laundry. It kills almost any odor and doesn't smell like pine after the dryer. (08/05/2010)

By katturn

Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Removing Musty Smell from Clothing
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
An old wooden wardrobe.
Removing Musty Smell from a Wardrobe
🎄