Musty Smelling Bed

When I walk into our bedroom I am hit almost immediately with a foul musty smell. It is coming from the bed. I change the bedding on a monthly basis. How can I get rid of the smell and where is it coming from? Should I buy new pillows, etc.? Any help will be much appreciated as I am quite ashamed of people coming to our home in case they go in our room and smell it. Its definitely the bed, nowhere else.

DONNA from UNITED KINGDOM

Best Answer

Strip down the bed completely and wash everything. Vacuum the matteress and under the bed. Then either spray with Febreze and let air for awhile, or sprinkle with baking soda, let sit for at least an hour, and then vacuum again. Our bodies shed about a gram of skin a day. Dustmites feed on that and they poo about 20 times a day. It is also very important to replace your pillows every few years.

Best Answer

I change our bed at least once a week. Maybe this would help.

Best Answer

It sounds as if you have mildew in your mattress, which is a serious health hazard. You probably should replace the mattress with a new one; then purchase a damp-proof mattress cover which completely covers the new mattress. Change your bedding weekly and make sure your bedroom is amply ventilated. If the area you live in is damp consider a dehumidifier. If you see black mould on your walls, however, you need to get a professional in to take care of it promptly. My granddaughter was infected with mould that was growing within her bedroom wall and not visible and has permanent lung damage as a result.

Best Answer

Take everything you can out to the yard on a sunny day and leave it in the sun for as long as you can. The ultraviolet light in the sunlight will kill the bacteria that is causing the smell.

Have you seen those shows on TV where they show some of the mattress factories reusing old filthy mattresses as a base and putting new material on top, then selling them as NEW? There is absolutely no way of cleaning that up unless you tear the whole thing down and start over. The TV shows were telling how some of the customers were getting lung diseases, etc. from these mattresses. Thing is, you don't KNOW unless you poke around your mattress. Yuck.

try changing bed sheets spray with lysol

Get rid of the matress and get futon (foam matress pads, Japanese style). You can hang these out to air several times a year and have no problem at all. (I live in Japan and this is how everyone keeps their matresses smelling fresh in this humid country.)

Cantate

try baking soda and letting it sit on Mattress then vaccum it out my Grand Mother did this regularly because someone wet the bed years ago on the bed she told me. And it did not smell any more.

I strip my bed in front of an open window for at least 30 minutes every day and change bed linens weekly. Once a week, I also put my pillows outside to air and get some sun. Pillows need to be washed regularly; say every six weeks.

Good luck!

I have the same problem California. I tryd everything! Just have to buy a new Matt and a good bed cover.

Musty Mattress
Removing Musty Smell from a Bed
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 29, 2007
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Musty Smelling Carpet
Cleaning Musty Smelling Carpets
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 1:23:19 PM on 10.0.1.145 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.