My Cat Is Always Hungry

I have a 2 1/2 year old cat that seems hungry all the time. She eats a 1/2 can of Fancy Feast in the morning and has dry food out all day. At dinner she kind of begs. Every time I go to the counter where her food is she cries and put her paws up on the door of the cabinet where the food is.

She is not under weight. I give her treats and catnip toy mice to play with. She throws them around and chases them. She has a lot of energy running around the house and up and down basement steps.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on with her?

By Joan from PA

Answers:

My Cat Is Always Hungry

Your cat is probably just begging and wanting food because it is there and because it knows if it begs it will get more food. (01/18/2010)

By martinjames40

My Cat Is Always Hungry

I think you should ask a vet about this. Whether it's a behavioral problem, or something more serious, should be determined by a professional. Then you'll have some idea of what to do about the problem. (01/18/2010)

By WildIrish

My Cat Is Always Hungry

Your post made me chuckle. I have a cat that begs. Somehow I never expected a cat to beg like the dogs. Timmy climbs up the back of my bathrobe when I am standing at the counter. Then he sits there looking at me like he had been starving for a month. Trust me he does not look like he has been starving for a month. But he does love his food. (01/19/2010)

By Lizzyanny

My Cat Is Always Hungry

Hi Joan from PA, just a thought-you might want to check her teeth/mouth. If they are hurting, they won't always show it, survival thing, dry food hurts if their mouth hurts, especially if they're big size pieces. Hope this helps, but more so hope she's OK. (01/19/2010)

By PamelaW

My Cat Is Always Hungry

I have a cat whose name (given by us) is Ever Hopeful. She came as a rescue cat with the name of Baby, but everhopeful is what she is, everhopeful for more food. I know that she had to compete for food when she was young. Behaviors like this stay over time, and even though she knows that the food (wet) comes out in the afternoon and there's dry food all the time, she still hopes that every time one of us goes near the kitchen that she will be fed. She's maybe 8 years old and I've had her for a year and a half. (01/23/2010)

By tennesue

My Cat Is Always Hungry
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
A hungry orange cat licking his lips.
Cat is Always Hungry
Two earwigs on a yellow flower.
Getting Rid of Earwigs
🎄