My Cats Are Always Hungry

I have 4 indoor cats; 2 male and 2 female. The 2 female and the 1 male are fixed. The other male is 3 months old. I feed the cats twice a day, in the morning and evening. My problem is they want to eat constantly. If I go out in the kitchen they are there wanting to be fed. If my hubby comes in from work, they are there wanting to be fed. The male that is fixed will eat so much he will throw-up. Does anyone have a clue what is going on with these cats. The male will also get into the trash and turn it over hunting for food. Help please, they are driving me crazy.

Pam from Lincoln, DE

Answers:

My Cats Are Always Hungry

My kitty is almost as bad. I think they are bored. I've started giving her only half the amount I normally would in the morning and at night and spread the other half out over the day. A half dozen kibbles in her dish seems to satisfy her during the day when she wants a treat. (11/23/2005)

By wendee

My Cats Are Always Hungry

I did wet food in the morning and evening and left dry food all day. They only eat like that because they know they have to wait all day to eat again. If food is left for them after a while they will trust it to always be there and wont gorge themselves. Also for your trash, wash every can or bag that has a food smell as you use it. If its something that cant be washed such as the meat packets then take them outside immediately. The thing is they wont just eat something thats OK for them to eat out of the trash. They will eat the styrofoam that meat comes in and other undesirable things. HTH (11/24/2005)

By christi

My Cats Are Always Hungry

I have 4 cats myself, and one is a little beggar too. I checked in my vet book, and it says this is a common thing. If you feed more than one together, it can be a competition, they may be bored, or they might just like the taste. Some cats and dogs will eat until they retch. I have to feed my dogs separately, as two of them will eat everything in sight. Hope this relieves your mind, just try not to overfeed. (11/24/2005)

By Lori

My Cats Are Always Hungry

How much are you feeding them? Four cats need quite a lot of food. Maybe they are acting hungry because they are simply not being given enough food. Try feeding them more and making sure they have food and water available at all times. (11/24/2005)

My Cats Are Always Hungry

You don't say whether you are talking about dry or wet food, but cats are not like dogs that you feed 2-3 times a day... dry food (any kind as long as they like it) and water should be available ALL THE TIME since cats will graze all day. It they are only getting fed twice a day then it makes sense that they are driving you crazy. If I happen to be gone when my cats run out of food, when I return and fill it, I have one that will eat so fast (as though the old fat cat is starving or something!) that within a few minutes she is vomiting the entire meal back up. They are such creatures of habit. If they are only begging for wet food then you need to pick one time each day to give them some. Stick with it and they will eventually quit begging all day. And if you keep it to about a big teaspoon full at a time then you won't have any of them barfing it back up no matter how fast it was eaten. I have 2 and one of them will eat her wet food real fast so she can try to steal some of her sisters food. I have to actually stand there and watch to keep it from happening. Hope some of this helps. (11/25/2005)

By Susan

My Cats Are Always Hungry

I agree with Annie - it might be the type of food you are feeding them. My cat use to whine and acted like he was hungry all the time until I changed his food - then he was fine. (11/27/2005)

By

My Cats Are Always Hungry

I would ask your vet as well.

If you try all the various food tricks listed on here, and it is still the same I would have the vet check for parasites.

(12/20/2005)

My Cats Are Always Hungry

Be aware that certain foods make some cats hungrier. If there are no parasites and your vet has no clue, try switching (gradually) to another brand food. Know what's in the ingredients. The more meat is usually the better.

My future-husband's cat used to be rather thin and peed a lot. Other than the peeing, she had a rather asymptomatic urinary infection. After taking care of that, the vet recommended a low-sodium cat food to prevent kidney stones. The food has turned this cat into a raving food-lunatic! Diet food and senior food is rather famous for this. It must taste really good.

But anyway, we're deciding what we'll do about this. We don't seem to even have the same cat anymore. Never wants to go outside, just wants to eat eat eat. Runs back and forth to the food bowl whenever we get up. But we're not feeding her more than about a half-cup a day. (10/17/2006)

By marijke

My Cats Are Always Hungry

be careful, because constant hunger in cats can often be a sign of an underlying health problem, e.g. tapeworms. (12/13/2006)

By Sian

My Cat Is Always Hungry
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
A hungry orange cat licking his lips.
Cat is Always Hungry
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
Two earwigs on a yellow flower.
Getting Rid of Earwigs
🎄