My Computer "Freezes" All The Time

My computer "freezes" all the time. I turn it off and on several times a day, to get it to work again. Some days it is fine, some days worse. Why does it do this? And what do I do (besides what I already do) to fix it? It drives me crazy!

Thanks,
Donna from Victoria, B.C.

Answers:

My Computer "Freezes" All The Time

I had exactly the same problem and 'experts' could not find it. By chance I bought a large memory board (not expensive) and thought I would take the others out and then add them after testing. It has not crashed now for 3 months! The other memory boards have not gone back in. You can have a memory location which is duff but is used randomly hence the unpredictability. Try that first should only cost about $40 which is cheaper than an 'engineer'.

Cheers, Arthur (04/17/2008)

By Logmaker

My Computer "Freezes" All The Time

Many reasons why. Anywhere from bad hardware, to spyware or virus. You could call around and have a PC shop run a good diagnostic on it. Just adding memory may not fix it, and you'd be spending money and not solve the problem. Some shops can run diagnostic free. Some charge a minimal fee. (04/18/2008)

By AML

My Computer "Freezes" All The Time

Try doing a disc cleanup, and then running something like Adaware from Lavasoft. It is free for personal use, and make sure you are running a good antivirus, avg. free edition works well for me.
If this doesn't solve the problem, get some one with computer knowledge to reset the cmoss, not hard to do if you know what to look for. If all that fails then it is time to look at getting more memory.

cheers

kerry

(04/18/2008)

By dekelder

My Computer "Freezes" All The Time

Go into system tools and go to defragment click on it and it will lead you from there. Depending on how long its been, it could take several hours to do it the first time. Then you can do it at say weekly intervals and I do. You can also go onto your tool bar and hit tools go down to internet options and clear your cache and temporary internet files and any cookies. Let us know how it goes. (04/19/2008)

By denise w

My Computer "Freezes" All The Time

You didn't say how old your computer is. Windows XP is old now! Have you done normal maintenance; disk clean up, defrag, virus scans, spyware scans, etc.? If the computer is old, it may be the time to replace it. Having an old computer serviced is not real cost effective.
(04/19/2008)

By Syd