My Dog Has Bad Breath

My Dog Has Bad Breath

I have a Yorkie that is nine years old. Just recently she has developed bad breath. I have started brushing her teeth. It helps somewhat, but it has to been done everyday. I just wanted to know if that is normal?

By AngelicTouch from IL

Answers:

My Dog Has Bad Breath

Yes, it's normal to brush an older dog's teeth daily. Also, there's an expensive mouth wash you can use for your dog called Nolvadent that is pepperminty fragrance and does help control doggie breath. It's about $20 - $25 for an eight ounce bottle. A little goes a long way and I also bought a battery powered round head bristled toothbrush for my small dog to reach in the back teeth. It's a Colgate Power brush and paid about $5 for it at WalMart.

A dog's teeth should be cleaned by a vet once a year. My dog is now two years old and I noticed her breath had an odor. I checked her back teeth and they had a light coating of tartar build up where a regular brush didn't get well. That causes mouth odor. Check your pet's back teeth. At the age she is if she hasn't had her teeth cleaned she may well be having more than tartar build up problems that only a vet can remove. Brushing won't get it off and that's why it's important to brush your pet's teeth.
I did a lot of research about dog's teeth and keeping them clean and have shared with you what I just learned.

It's also important to give the dog treats that are for dental care. WalMart sells a product called Natural Healthy Biscuits for Dogs. They are shaped like leaves and help keep the dog's teeth clean, strong and gums healthy. Natural rawhide chews are also good for helping to keep teeth, tartar free; buy 2 so when one gets a bit soft, you can change it to the other dry one. Supervise your pet closely so it doesn't digest big pieces chewed off and create a choking hazard.

Also, raw uncooked bones you can get at a slaughter house preferably beef and freeze for three weeks before giving to the dog so bacteria is killed first. These bags of bones cost around $2.00 and you may be able to get bones the right size for your pet. (02/12/2010)

By Lorelei

My Dog Has Bad Breath

I think Yorkies are noted for having trouble with their teeth. This is what my vet told me. I have a 12 year old Yorkie-Poo, and I had her teeth cleaned 2 years ago. When I took her this year she had a bad infection, so I had to get that cleared up and then had to get a lot of her teeth pulled out. She may be small, but it took 2 of the vets to get her mouth open and that is why I can't clean them. (02/13/2010)

By pennypal

My Dog Has Bad Breath

First, I must say that your dog is adorable. Second, I have first-hand experience with a senior dog who had dental issues. I had an 8 1/2 year old rescued Sheltie (former puppy mill momma) who came to me with horrible breath. Things like biscuits and brushing masked the problem temporarily, but didn't cure it. So, I took her in for a very thorough cleaning at the vet. The total was about $200 and she was put out completely for the procedure. However, in her case, the underlying gum disease had entered the bloodstream, and she was humanely euthanized shortly after due to a neurological problem. Before her, I never fully understood the importance of routine dental cleanings at a vet's office. My best advice would be a check up at the vet. Tell them your concerns, and they can recommend the best solution for your dog. :) (02/13/2010)

By LuvMyFurKids

My Dog Has Bad Breath

Rotted or abscessed teeth could be the cause. Also, bad breath can denote an underlying health problem (kidneys, liver, etc). I suggest you take her/him in to your vet and have her checked. If money is a big factor, I suggest you make several phone calls to different vets or even shelters for a referral. As an underlying problem, even abscessed teeth, can cause further illness and sometimes death. (02/16/2010)

By SWG

My Dog Has Bad Breath

My Jack Russell/Beagle mix has had terrible breath. He has clean teeth and is taken very good care of, but it was still terrible. I bought breath refreshers and oral care chews. The other day I was in Walmart and saw Pedigree had an Oral Care treat. I bought them and they work fantasticly, you can give your dog up to 5 a day and I could not be happier! Good luck! (08/09/2010)

By MissH1020

Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath
Yawning beagle next to man making a yucky face
Puppy With Bad Breath
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
Remedies for Bad Breath
🎉
🎄