My Dog Is Sick After Getting a Parvo/Distemper Shot

Certain immunizations can cause side effects in some pets. This is a guide about my dog is sick after getting a parvo/distemper shot.

May 31, 2007 Flag

My 4 month old chihuahua just got the Parvo/Distemper shot and is now sick, do you think she has Parvo? She isn't throwing up, but she has stopped eating and has yellow diarrhea. We are on day 3 now from the shot, day 2 of diarrhea and day 2 of no eating. I'm able to keep fluids in her and I'm forcing pedialyte down her. Should I try the bleach mixture trick I'm reading about? She isn't wanting to move now and it's scaring me. She is my baby and I love her so much. She seems so tired and depressed. I have needles and saline in case I have to start injecting her. But as long as she isn't throwing up, she is absorbing. Right?

Shannon from Orland, CA

Editor's Note: Please call the vet that administered the shots.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The same thing happened to my dog just days ago. Gave him the parvo shot I bought from the feed store. 24 hours later, he had diarrhea. 48 hours later, vomiting and diarrhea. Today, the diarrhea is beginning to clear up and solidify, and the vomiting has stopped.

You have to remember, the Parvo vaccine contains dead OR LIVE (but damaged) Parvo virus.

Some vaccines contain more injured parvo viruses than others, and allowing the vaccine to reach room temperature like I did does not good, as it allows the viruses the time to become active.

It's not an allergic reaction, what your dog is experiencing is a very MILD case of Parvo brought on by the vaccine.

I took my dog to vet to get a rabies shot. While there got parvo and distemper first time ever taken dog get shots before, only thing vet ask how is she doing, age and thats really it, nothing else. Gave one shot right side neck under skin and other shot other side under skin dog is with me 24/7 is great dog lively, 2 days after shot took nap 30 min woke up totally different do. Can't walk, doesn't want to move, and yelps when I try to pick her up. No puke or poop yet, and no eating so on feeding it liquid this syringe and now yogurts

Took her back to vet the next day and told them what going on. They said it is not because of the shot. Think she might have injured her neck maybe a disc. I am like huh? This is impossible It didn't happen. Anyways doc came in gave her shot of amoxacillin and a pain killer and something else. He was very fast about it, and spent more time asking me what I do for living.

Anyways told me call anything else wrong. I left and got like 2 miles away. The dog puked on my seat, got home puked again has puked 4 times in like 5 hours. I called them said the med reaction on empty stomach feed her what ever she will eat table scraps anything she has free pass today.

What do I do? I know how shady this all is and wanna just storm in there. I am not paying for the 2nd vist to the office. They didn't say anything about a bill when I left. Usually have to pay before I leave. Not sure what going on with that and this point not happy about any thing. I didn't know my 1 year old and a few months shouldn't get 3 shot once and a list of other things. What can I do? Who do I call? Where do I report this? Should I get a lawyer? Have feeling my dog not going to make it. She doesn't wanna move. I have no idea what to do. Sigh, got this dog when I got home from Iraq; only thing makes me happy, lol. Sounds strange but that little dog has done more for me in last year than I can explain. No idea what to do, will she pull through this?

Hello I as well had a very bad out come. I had a litter that was very healthy happy pups running around playing eating drinking so forth the day my vet gave them all their first puppy shot at 6 weeks old they was very active out of all the pups only two screamed with the shot.

Needless to say the next day they did not want to eat would drink very little by the next day they would not eat or drink and could not move at all and I lost both pups late that night. I was and am very upset over this matter. I am sorry but I know the shots had something to do with their death. But I am like you how do you report it or do any thing about it.

Did yours make it?

Im just curious how your dog made out? I hope s/he pulled through! I recently rescued a pitbull and named her Athena. She was very dehydrated and even SPCA she was dehydrated and needed emergency care. Vet had closed so as a Personal Trainer and my own health issues I've over come I got her great enriched bully specific dog food, high calorie GNC vitamin for pups, and had her rehydrated and vaccinated her. I brought her back to life because they told me she was not looking like she'd make it. I also had her tested for parvo to ensure she would survive; she was negative great!

Then 2 days ago I take her to vet to get her booster (2nd set of shots) and she get sick same day. No eating or drinking, vomitting, and watery diarrhea with blood (basically just poop water). Im freaking out cause like every vet saids " its not from the shots".

More upsetting hearing her say she doesn't know whats wrong but looks like a virus. Of course its a virus, you just injected more than 1 virus in her! She is only 11weeks; id be devastated if she passes :{

One ugly time I caught parvo at the dog clinic that was treating parvo for the human society and brought parvo home to infect all the other dog , what a mess I had , that why I like mobile dog clinic park in my driveway , lots safer then most clinic with all those sick dogs .

because with those pet clinic , lost of sick pet , easy to catch something like parvo bring it home and spread a deadly virus to all your pet , mobile pet clinic for me .

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. We have a 10 week old pit that I got the first shots with no problems 3 weeks ago. Took him back yesterday for the 2nd set and he's thrown several times during the night. Should we just wait it out and see if it passes or seek treatment?

June 24, 2010 Flag

Why is my puppy sick after her parvo and dewormer shots?

By Letty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

First, very sorry. The parvovirus is what your dog has. The shot has a live parvovirus strain in low dose to stimulate your dogs system for a possible future run in w the virus. However, in many dogs they just can't fight off that small amount in the shot. It's not your fault. If you decided not to get the vaccine, he could have contracted parvo becuase its everywhere. Dogs and puppies get sick and die all the time shortly after shots. The ones that don't just vomit and get tired for a few days. The real issue at hand is the vaccine. And new parvo strains. It's the same reason people get the flu symptoms following the flu shot. Many people opt to stick with just the mandatory rabies and chance it.

In my opinion after the loss of our puppy and a 700.00 vet bill, I will never vaccinate a dog until " they" decide to formulate a vaccine the isn't deadly. I have 2 dogs that have never been given s single shot ever. They also eat raw meat, rice and eggs. No commercial dog food. They are 3 years old and have both been around public areas every day. No illness. The shots can kill. Good luck. God bless and keep researching.

Contact your vet.

June 24, 2010 Flag

I adopted a 4 month old lab from the animal shelter on Tuesday 2/2/10. They gave her a rabies shot and the parvo shot before I left. They had also given her a parvo shot when the shelter received her. She started having diarrhea that evening and went all night. Then that stopped on Wednesday and she vomited all of Wednesday.

She wouldn't eat or drink anything on Wednesday. Today is Friday and we are having to give her Pedialite in a dropper because she still won't eat or drink. I gave her a bath last night and she drank a little of the water that was running. What could be wrong with my precious Bayla?

By Kathy from Blountville, TN

Answers:

Puppy is Sick After Parvo Shot

My dog that I adopted did the same thing, but I personally think she was allergic to it. I just waited it out and eventually she got better. If it continues for another week or so you may want to take her to the vet. (02/05/2010)

By Jazzy09

Puppy is Sick After Parvo Shot

It's common practice to give several vaccinations weeks apart so this is not unusual for the pup to have had 2. You really do need to see a veterinarian. (02/06/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

Puppy is Sick After Parvo Shot

Your pup got parvo from the vaccine. I can't warn enough people about this. Good chance the poor baby will die. For now, Please give her an enema of colloidal silver (at least 10 PPM) after half hour give another enema. The bowel is where most of the pathogens are. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. (02/08/2010)

By muttmom

Puppy is Sick After Parvo Shot

Please take your baby to the vet! Also, please do not use any home remedy unless a vet tells you too. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Good luck. (02/08/2010)

By K9cats

Puppy is Sick After Parvo Shot

Please take your puppy to the vet ASAP! It is possible for puppies to catch parvo even after having shots and home remedies won't work for parvo. The sooner the puppy gets treatment the higher the rate of survival! Parvo is not a 100% death sentence. My puppy came through it just fine with vet treatment. Good luck! (02/08/2010)

By fizzle7033

Puppy is Sick After Parvo Shot

Honestly it could be a number of many things. You may want to go to a vet and have it checked out. More then likely your pup has parvo, guessing that because of the shot. If your pup was not healthy when he got it then the parvo overtook his immune system.

When dealing with parvo your pup needs to be hydrated and have it's sugar levels up. You do this by checking his gums. If they're pink then he's good on his glucose level. If not then the gums won't be pink. Just apply pancake syrup or honey directly on the gums until they go back to normal. Check up on them and apply more when then gums aren't pink.

Personally I would buy Parvaid and use that in conjunction with vet care. Either way this pup needs to be treated asap. (02/09/2010)

By thatonechix

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

Glucose does not normally change gum color from my experience. If a dogs gum color is anything but normal please see a vet asap.

January 13, 2011 Flag

Shannon from Orland, CA

Answers:

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Call your vet right away! I have never heard of a dog having a reaction to those boosters, but your vet should know how to help. (06/01/2007)

By Robin

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

I totally agree! Unless you want to lose her, get on the phone and call the vet! Don't wait! Your furbaby is so small and her symptoms could be life-threatening if they go on too long. Call today- before the weekend when the vet's not available. Let us know how she's doing. (06/01/2007)

By bonnierls

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

I agree with everyone - you need to take her to the vet immediately - don't call - take her there. Her condition is extremely serious. You've heard the saying you snooze you lose. Please let us know how she's doing. I'll pray for your little puppy. (06/01/2007)

By mizpikky

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Go to Vet now! (06/01/2007)

By jjager

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Thanks everyone for all your advice and feedback. I did, however, run down to the store and get the acidophilos milk and fed that to her along with some of that Activa yogurt and Gatorade. The vet said it must just be a reaction to the shot. As of today, she is eating again! Yay! She is up and playing and seems to be returning to herself again. She hasnt had any diarrhea today or vomiting so I'll just keep up with the fluids tho, not going to stop until I'm sure she is out of the woods. She only weighs about a pound so she doesn't have much water to spare, if you know what I mean. Now I'm afraid to do the other boosters on her. That was some scary stuff. We got her the shot on Monday and she just got over it today...5 days of being sick...that was awful! (06/01/2007)

By Sashas Mommy

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Yeah! I'm so happy your sweet baby is better! You both can enjoy your weekend now. (06/01/2007)

By Sarah

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Wonderful that puppy is better! (06/01/2007)

By meoowmom

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Thanks!! Thanks to all that said prayers for my baby!! She is so much better! Even tonight she is bouncing around everywhere and biting and kissing my chin. She is back to her old little rambunctious self! I am so relieved to have her back! I cried when she ate her first piece of food 2day because I was so happy 2 see that her appetite had returned. It's the little things we take for granted sometimes. She is my baby and she is going to be OK and I thank the Good Lord and all of you for that! Thanks for being there for me through all of this! You all are wonderful people and great friends! (06/01/2007)

By Sashas Mommy

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

I was so happy to read that your little baby puppy is doing so much better - it brought tears to my eyes. My little chihuahua/Jack Russell mix baby puppy named Meka will be 4 mos old on 6/9 and she's due for her 3rd shot on Wed 6/6. Now I'm debating about that next shot. So far she's doing great. How many shots did your little puppy have before she got sick? I will definitely keep the symptoms your puppy had and the treatment you gave her in mind for my Meka. Again I'm elated about your baby and have given thanks to Jehovah God for helping her (one of his beloved little creations) make a full recovery. Thank you for the picture - it's beautiful - the smile on your face says it all. (06/02/2007)

By mizpikky

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Will you please end the suspense and tell us what the vet said? so that every other pup out there with yellow diarrhea (common when they are getting milk) and not eating (first thing when something's bothering) will not have a freaking-out owner any more than usual? Did you call the vet at all? I hope you had some good help from the vet! (06/02/2007)

By Kim Ch

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

I'm so glad that my experience can help others. I have definitely learned a lot as a result of this myself and now I know what to expect with the 2nd shot and when I have anymore pups and get them vaccinated. I'll know what can happen as a result of the shot. Don't ever let anyone tell you that nothing can happen because every dog is different as you and I are different. And our immune systems and body's are not built the same. So always stay at home with your pet the day they receive the shot and really monitor them. I'm so glad I did. If I had left her and gone to work, she would not be with me today! Just a bit of advice for all you Pet Lovers! (06/06/2007)

By Shannon.

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Hello, yes, I'm glad your dog is getting better. Please do more homework on what the ingredients are of these questionable vaccines/shots. Someone is making a lot of money on selling millions of them. Are they safe? lots of homework, I mean. Good luck. fellowdog luvr. (06/25/2007)

By Kate

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

So glad to hear the good news!

Vaccinations ARE a big deal. Even among humans there are a lot of parents who wont let their kids get immunized because of the questionable ingredients not to mention effectiveness of them. Some people think that this is irresponsible and even trained imunobiologists will tell you so.

Again, educate yourself on both sides of the issue and make your own choices.

Dogs have died from immunizations. I worry about my babies every time they get shots and wouldn't get them at all except that I can't get flea medicine without regular shots.

Parvo is of course very serious. And I have to wonder, if vaccinations are so effective why are we still seeing it? We don't see black plague any more. The scientists say we vaccinated it out of existence....hmm

Take some time to watch your dog after a vaccination, possibly as close to the weekend as possible or when someone can be home in case there is a problem.
(07/10/2007)

By Sheraone

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

The vomit Ive always seen with Parvo is white and foamy. Its usually clearlike, watery, but very foamy. No diarrhea is a great sign! I hope your pup is still doing great! (09/08/2007)

By Shannon

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Depression is normal but if he isn't eating or drinking you need to do something. Give him fluids by dropper. I recommend Gatorade or Pedialite. It works great for dehydration and you want to prevent that because they will get dehydrated very quickly. It should only last for a couple days but if it continues longer you need to call the Dr right away. I also gave my puppy yogurt in a dropper. She loved it and it was soft on her tummy. Just some ideas for you to try. (09/26/2007)

By Shannon.

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

No. She is probably going into heat. Has she had her first heat yet? Is she fixed? I have a chihuahua that loses hair every time she goes into heat, the vet says its absolutely normal. But, if she is fixed then you might want to take her to the vet and make sure she doesn't have a skin disorder. (10/24/2007)

By Shannon.

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Update! As for my little precious girl, she passed away October 12th 2007. She started losing weight and not being able to eat. She started showing signs of brain dysfunction. Pacing, walking in circles, bumping into walls and her little eyes were starting to roll down and all you could see were the whites of her eyes mostly. Then, in the last week or so, a bump formed on the top of her little head. I knew in my heart it was her brain swelling. It just broke my heart. I spent hours searching online for anything and everything pointed to HYDROCEPHALUS. Its common in the Chihuahua breed but is also a complication of Parvo.

So, I have no idea at this point which caused it, but that Friday, Oct. 12th, when I drove her to the vet, I knew it was our last trip together. When the Vet saw her he took her straight to the back, examined her and told me the harsh news. I broke down and didn't stop crying for 3 days! I had to make the terrible decision to put my little angel. The baby that I had desperately tried so hard to save, I had to finally give up and put her tired little body to sleep.

It was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make. Not only for her but because I didn't want to give up! I love her so very much and still do! I cry everyday for her and I hope I did the right thing for her. I hope she knows that I didn't want to give up on her. I just couldn't fix her. I was feeding her Lambs milk through a syringe at that point to keep her alive.

And now...I miss it. I smell her blankets cuz they still smell like her and her spilled milk. It's so hard....I put so much into trying to save that babys life and now I have nothing! Nothing but heartache! All of you have been so wonderful and so I just wanted to let you know that her battle ended and that I tried my hardest. Please don't ever give up on your Parvo pets because they can survive. Not all end up like this. I do have one dog who is a complete success! Just pray for her in heaven for me. I had her cremated and she will be coming home to me soon. I couldn't bear to part with her. I love her! (10/24/2007)

By Shannon.

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Wow that's a hard call to make. They do a simple test on the dogs stool to find out if they have Parvo or not. I would just make sure you keep your dog well hydrated and warm. That's the 2 key things in keeping a dog alive through Parvo. I sure hope your doggie is OK after going through so much! Keep me updated. (01/31/2008)

By Shannon

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Just took my pit/boxer mix to have a parvo booster and is now not eating and seems depressed. Not very active, tired and lazy. usually running around hyper actively. No vomit or diarrhea but not eating or drinking. We just lost a dog to parvo and don't want to lose another. Duece has no swelling and looks normal, besides getting skinny. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve (02/02/2008)

By Steve

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

It can be very normal for them to have those symptoms after a shot of the Parvo/Distemper Mix. But if your dog starts vomiting or has diarrhea I would rush him to the vet immediately! (02/04/2008)

By Shannon

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

We have a 3 year old Airedale Terrier. He had his Parvo-Distemper shot Friday night and he had a terrible reaction on Saturday. He did not have any vomiting or diarrhea but he was totally lethargic and depressed. His whole body below his neck was sore and he yelped if you touched him. He is now 3 days out and is about 80% better. We will never give him this shot again! (02/18/2008)

By Sam

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Also if she is lethargic, give Caro or something sugary for low blood sugar. (03/10/2008)

By lisa

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

I'm a Dachshund breeder in Pennsylvania, been raising my dogs and their babies for quite awhile. I have never had
Parvo in my home and do not let my puppies go outside either
until they go to the Vet for shots. In all the pups I have had through the years I have never had a reaction with my
puppies. If they do get a reaction, it's usually not from the Parvo Virus vaccine in the shot it's from the Distemper and also young puppies should never get Leptosirosis in the DHLPP vaccine until they get older, as Lepto can cause a very serious reaction.

My 7 month old Dachshund, Sugar had a reaction to the Rabies Vaccine though, first she started to itch and with my experience I new it was time to break out to Children's liquid Benedryl and give it to her right away, within 1 hour she was back to normal. You give 1cc of Children's Benedryl to 3 lbs. of body weight, in dogs. I highly recommend dogs get yearly DHLPP vaccines because sometimes you have to hurt them to help them.

If you know your dog reacts wait that extra hour in the parking lot and watch for signs. Most Vets won't even charge you extra for a reaction. Bleach is the only way to kill Parvo Virus, It can even be brought in on your shoes or clothes. It comes from infected birds. It can kill a dog rapidly and is a terrible way to die. I am practically a Vet tech, please take my advice. (03/16/2008)

By Marilynn

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Some dogs/puppies DO have reactions to the Parvo/Distemper shot! I don't care what anybody says! I have seen it first hand. Not once, but many times! Just keep your puppy well hydrated. That is the most important thing! I also fed my puppies some acidophiles milk and Activia yogurt for their tummies. Seems to really help when they have the diarrhea. You can give them Gatorade and Pedialyte for the dehydration. And if he gets lethargic in any way...give him some maple syrup...he needs the sugar. His glucose level may be low and if that gets to low he will have seizures and things will get ugly real fast. I hope this info helps. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! Hope puppy is OK! (04/20/2008)

By Shannon

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

We got a puppy from the animal shelter. The shelter was closed 3 weeks later for Distemper.
Our Puppy died last night from distemper. It was horrible. When he got his booster shot it seemed to accelerate the disease. He was already getting sick. I think it was just this age. Love them when you have them, care for them with all your heart and when they take their last breath let them go with love.

God bless you all that survived and may those that lost have wonderful memories of better days.

Editor's Note: So sorry for your loss Anita.
(05/24/2008)

By Anita M. Georgia

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

So sorry for your loss! Its so hard to watch these precious babies die of these terrible diseases! You are so right when you say to Love them while you have them because you just don't know when they will be taken from you! I still mourn the loss of my Sasha! God Bless all of you and your precious babies that have suffered and lost their fight! (06/05/2008)

By Shannon

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

My 10 year old llasa/shitzu mix went in for her PD shot on Wednesday, became very lethargic and acted like she was in pain to move. Thursday more of the same. Both nights I was told to give her a regular aspirin for pain, which I did disguised in some cheese. Thursday evening really no difference in her. I also gave her 3 snack size Nutter Butter cookies for the sugar (no syrup or chocolate). Friday AM she seems to be back to her old self - almost. I guess my advice is to not panic - as they say an ounce of prevention. (08/22/2008)

By Robin - Michigan

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

We have 4 mini dachshunds. Ages 16 months, 2 years, 5 years and 7 years. This past Sunday I took the 16 month old and the 7 year old in for shots. They both had Distemper/Parvo and Bortadella shots. We left and within 2 hours, the 16 month old, he is a longhair doxie, started acting like he was licking the air. I called my vet and they said to bring him right back in. We are 10 miles away and believe me, my husband and I were scared to death. His tongue was swelling up. He was breathing, but he was getting panicky and so were we. They gave him an IV injection that took care of the problem and then gave me prednisone to take home to give him for the next couple of days. The other doxie who is 7...he is a smooth coat, was fine. He has never, ever had any reactions, nor have the other 2. But, about an hour and a half after we were home, the little guys face started swelling up. So, I called the vet & they had me give him one of the prednisone pills, along with a Benadryl tablet, plus they said to first give him a Pepcid AC to coat his stomach.

My vet called me back later to see how he was doing. She said that they also put an alert on the file for a vaccine reaction and said they would give him a shot of something, I forgot what she said, before he has shots again & then we are to give him Benadryl before we bring him in. It is now 2 days later & he seems to be back to his funny, perky crazy self. This happened when he had his first round of shots as a puppy. His face just swelled up. I know that that time he had distemper and rabies shots. It is so, so scary. I am already nervous about taking any of them in for more shots, but I know it has to be done. Just be aware & be prepared the best you can & talk with your vet about your concerns before the vaccinations. Maybe that will help to eliminate some of the possibilities of an awful tragedy. (09/16/2008)

By Nancy

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Our dog had Distemper after the shot, we took her to the Vet he wanted to put her to sleep said 90% she will die anyways. We took her back home, put milk into her mouth and injected water and saline into her neck (not into bloodstream). One year later she is fine. We had to stay up all night a few days. Keep them hydrated, don't let the Vet put them to sleep. (11/18/2008)

By Brian

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

By Brian

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

My 4 month old chihuahua got a distemper shot and wormed by my husband and he has been very sick for 2 days diareah and vomiting i have been force feeding him rice baby cereal pepto bismo and cottage cheese what do we do (02/22/2009)

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

Distemper shot is not required by law only rabies shot is and most of them last a couple of years so you don't have to don't it yearly if it makes her sick.
(07/27/2009)

By MLB111485

Symptoms After Parvo/Distemper Shot

I'm afraid your dog might have distemper. My poor puppy had the very same symptoms. If it becomes serious, you need to take her to the vet immediately. (10/02/2010)

By Anonymous

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 26, 2016
Toothbrush
Replacing Toothbrushes After Illness
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 5:20:32 PM on 10.0.2.108 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.