My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

My 1 1/2 year old Yorkie Poo won't eat dog food, dog snacks, nothing doggy. What should I do?

By Shabon from Staten Island, NY

Answers:

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

The first thing you should do is get him checked by the vet to make sure there's not a physical problem causing him not to eat. If that comes out clean, then here goes the hard part.

The best thing you can do for your dog is to have more persistence than he does. You might start with mixing dry and canned food because it's more enticing. But the dog won't starve himself. Eventually he will eat if that is the ONLY thing available to him. Don't offer any treats--doggy or otherwise. Put the food down along with water and absolutely REFUSE to give him anything else.

I know it sounds cruel, but believe me it's not. He'll eat eventually. He might refuse to eat when you can see him (I have one like that now. He only eats in the middle of the night when he thinks I'm asleep), but he will eat.

It'll actually be harder on you than it is on him. But just keep telling yourself, "he has it available, so if he doesn't want to eat it then it's his own problem".

I've had dogs that were stubborn like yours and have had to do this. But it always worked. Different dogs take longer to break down than others, but they all will sooner or later. Their will to survive is stronger than their stubbornness. (07/21/2009)

By Cricketnc

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

I started putting olive oil on my dog's dry dog food because it's good for his skin. I didn't want to do it in both his daily feeding because I was afraid he'd put on too much weight, but I have to now because otherwise he won't eat it without. (07/24/2009)

By TXBetty

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

No more table scraps and goodies. He will be fine if no medical problems are the cause. He will be fine, keep telling yourself and do not let him win. It is a battle and you will be fine too. It is hard to be tough and firm but he will

eat the dog food and then only after a consistent pattern you might add little bits of carrots or green beans
to his food, my dog's favorites, along with cut up bananas for snack time, he prefers this to doggie treats. Good luck. (07/31/2009)

By meoowmom

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

I guess it depends on the dog food you are feeding or trying to feed. My dogs like the taste of Iams dog food. I had a cat that loved Iams hard cat food too. It's a little more expensive but it's a healthier choice for a dog. It must taste great cause I've never had an animal not eat it. Also, for years my dogs love the milk bone brand Mar-O snacks, they never tire of it. If this doesn't work, you just leave him to eat it or else starve. He will eat it. (08/01/2009)

By lorraina

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

The above ideas are good and worth a try. But if that doesn't work there are plenty of home cooked dog food recipes online.

What I did for a dog who was allergic to commercial food was cook rice (bought a rice cooker, just for her), boil turkey necks, make a bowl of oatmeal in the microwave as well as cook green peas or peas and carrots (frozen, not salty canned). Mix them all together. I would alternate the poultry with sardiines or canned mackeral, which are good for their coats and skin (tip from vet).

A doggie vitamin would be a good idea since what you cook yourself won't have all the added vitamins and minerals that commercial food does. I would make a big pot, keep a few days worth in the fridge and freeze the rest in 3 or 4 day batches. (08/01/2009)

By tejasridgerunner

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

PS: Forgot to say I cooked the rice in water with low-salt loose chicken bouillon. (08/01/2009)

By tejasridgerunner

Dog Won't Eat
Dog Won't Eat
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
Small dog looking sad next to a red bowl of dog food.
Dog Won't Eat After Being Spayed
Dog stairs at dog food bowl while woman sits beside him with her hands raised while shrugging her shoulders
Dog Will Only Eat People Food
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄