My Dog is a Picky Eater

My 1yr old Chihuahua is a very picky eater. Sometimes she will go for days without eating. I cannot find the right food to feed her, especially the hard food. She seems to like the Alpo beef w/gravy; and the chicken treats. But I keep reading the soft food is not good for her. Please forward any suggestions on what to feed her.

Another thing, I don't brush her teeth. Is there anything that may keep her teeth strong and clean that she can chew on?

By byates77 from Princeton, NJ

Answers:

My Dog is a Picky Eater

I have a dog that way. I know when a dog gets hungry enough they will eat. My little dog has to have peace and quiet when he eats. Distractions takes him away from his food. I also know that some dogs have trouble chewing food and they won't eat it. My little dog I have to use small dog food. (08/21/2009)

By Treads04

My Dog is a Picky Eater

We have a Maltese and feed her Royal Canin. They make a food especially for small breeds. The kibble is tiny and easier for small dogs to chew. We had found that regular puppy food kibble was too big for her and she couldn't chew it. Worth a try. (08/26/2009)

By olive5

My Dog is a Picky Eater

Oh, I forgot to tell you they do make one for Chihuahuas. (08/26/2009)

By olive5

My Dog is a Picky Eater

If your baby likes those flavors of wet food then feed her that! My cat is a picky eater, too, and I feed her one small can of her favorite flavors a day and leave a bowl of tiny size dry that she nibbles on through the week.

There are special pet toothbrushes and toothpastes on the market at stores like Pet Smart and you can get her supplied with the tiny sized rawhide chewies, as well ;-) (08/26/2009)

By Deeli

My Dog is a Picky Eater

My German Shepherd went through a period of about 3 months where she wouldn't eat anything, but peanut butter sandwiches. The vet said to give her whatever she would eat. She's a perfectly healthy and happy dog and now eats only canned dog food, with a p.b. sandwich once a week! (08/26/2009)

By catastrofy

My Dog is a Picky Eater

I give my dog a sliced banana, he loves this. His other favs are: sliced carrots or baby carrots raw, sliced canned carrots, I rinse these first, canned green beans, white rice I add to his canned Pedigree food. He has crunchy food all day. My vet says these are all fine and actually good for him. A vet that Martha Stewart recently had on also said that these were good for dogs. Good luck. (08/30/2009)

By meoowmom

My Dog is a Picky Eater

Animals are manipulative. My cat will suddenly go off her food to see what I will come up with next. I feed her 1/4 can of wet (store brand Friskies) twice a day and there is dry food that she will now not touch. She cries, she cries, but the vet says she's fine and if I don't respond she will either go off to do something else or eat the dry food. It's crazy. (09/08/2009)

By tennesue

Feeding a Dog That is a Picky Eater
Feeding a Dog Who is a Picky Eater
Cat eating out of a yellow bowl.
Homemade Cat Food Recipes
muffin tin lasagna
Muffin Tin Lasagna Recipes
Feeding a Picky Cat
Feeding a Picky Cat
Picky Eater Boy
Parenting a Picky Eater
🎄
🍂