My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

I have a female and male Zebra finch. They have laid 4 eggs in the food dish and 1 on the bottom of the cage. They sat on them for about a week and then quit sitting on them. My husband noticed yesterday that there was 2 more eggs, and today there was another 1 in the dish.

We are wondering what to do because we think that the ones that were there at first might be no good, but we do not know which ones where just laid. Can you help us by telling us what we should do. Thanks.

Donna from Barrie, Ontario

My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

You don't say if you have a nest in the cage. They sell small nests for finches. If they have a nest they will probably sit on the eggs and they will hatch. You really don't have to do much, they take care of them all by themselves. As for the eggs you have now that they haven't sat on, yes, I would get rid of them. But do get a nest and some nesting material, all can be found at any pet store. I only know because I have had finches in the past and they raised 3 sets of off springs, very cute.

But of course once the youngin's get of age they need to be put in a different cage. They can attack the mom (wanting to take over the "nest") once they get older and I'm sure you don't want that. Good luck. Tweet, tweet!

And, before I forget, I hope you also feed them more than bird seed. They love fresh veggies and fruit. Mine had a feddish for cucumbers and lettuce. Experiment and see what they like. (03/21/2009)

By LULUbobo

My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

I've also had a male and a female. They had so many babies I sold them back to the pet store. What I did was get them nesting material at the pet store. They made their own nest and laid the eggs in the nest. I never had an egg that didn't hatch. I had 2 birdcages. When there were just too many and getting out of hand, that's when I sold them back to the pet shop. They know what to do if you get them the proper materials. (03/23/2009)

By Delilah500

Pair of Zebra Finches on Perch
Breeding Zebra Finches
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Portland, Oregon
Portland, Oregon Frugal Travel Guide
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business, A handwritten business plan on paper.
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business
My Finch Laid Eggs
My Finch Laid Eggs