My Frugal Life: Fun When You're Broke

My Frugal Life

I get bored so easy! In college, we were all short on cash, so here of some of the ways I made it during the hard times. They were some of the best times in my life.

• For exercise, I went walking all the time.
  • For food, I ate cheap - real cheap like hot dogs, ramen noodles, soup, sandwiches, and salads. I always love the Dollar menu.
  • For entertainment, I would go to the movies on the cheapest night of the week, get with my friends borrow movies, or we would all get together watch movies. I would buy cheap snacks from the dollar store - candy, popcorn, and soda. Sometimes we would have a game night, play cards, games, or UNO!

These are some of the things I did in college to have fun. We all pinched in and made pancakes if we found a stove! I used the library for movies and books. If we wanted to swimming, we'd all go together to a lake free! We'd pack a picnic, or even go camping, and have a cook out - it was so much fun.

I now look back and remember how much fun I had. I still stay up half the night playing games and buying snacks with friends. It's so much fun. I still like having movies nights, and I still cook cheap meals. Some of the times when I was broke were some of the best times in my life.

You don't have to have a whole lot of money to be happy, content, and have something fun to do. Cheers to all that are bored and broke there is hope!

By Mary

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

One of the benefits of a college education is that you never need be bored! As you realize there is so much out there in the wide, wide world.

Some of my best memories were made when I was a broke college student. I've seriously been thinking about going back to a simpler life. Full of friends and loved one's. Great essay! Thanks for the inspiration on my quest to find way's to cut back.

Isn't it interesting that the times in our lives when we have so little bring the most happiness and force us to come up with creative ideas? I remember using a little palm "counter" for my store purchases to make sure I didn't go over budget, and organizing similar fun activities like yours to do with family and friends. Just goes to show ya, money and "stuff" don't always bring happiness!

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJune 6, 2011
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Cutworm on grass
Getting Rid of Cutworms
Home with Solar Panels
Going Green Without Going Broke
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle