My Salisbury Steak

I have a large family so this recipe feeds 6-8 and tastes like Salisbury Steak. Recipe can easily be made in half and/or leftovers can be frozen - my favorite trick for sometimes getting out of cooking.

• 4 lb. hamburger meat
  • 1 pkg. saltines
  • 2 - 2 cup pkgs. brown gravy mix (or 4 - 1 cup pkgs.)
  • 2 small cans mushroom stems and pieces, drained well (optional)
  • 3 stalks celery, wash and trim ends but leave the leaves on
  • 1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled & cut into pieces
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. beef bouillon flavoring
  • 2 tsp. black pepper
  • short 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

You will need a blender or food processor, a large bowl for mixing. Foil for covering top of baking dish. A saucepan for mixing the gravy, and a deep-sided baking dish large enough to hold 6 to 8-8 oz. patties and gravy. I usually use my roasting pan.

Put the raw meat into the large bowl, breaking into pieces.

In the blender or processor cup, add about 1/4 of the crackers at a time and; whirl into a powder; add the powdered crackers to the meat.

Next, cut the celery into about 3-inch pieces; add to blender cup. Cut the onion into chunks & also add to blender cup. Add all remaining ingredients except for the brown gravy mix and optional mushrooms: whirl until smooth. Pour the vegetable mixture over the hamburger and crackers and thoroughly mix together - using your hands works best. Divide mixture as evenly as possible into 6 to 8 patties.

Place on pre-heated, broiler pan and broil each side at the lowest position for 10 minutes on each side.

While the meat is broiling, prepare your gravy mix using only 3 cups of water instead of the usual 4 cups you would normally make it with. Bring to a boil, then lower temperature & allow to simmer for a few minutes. At this point, you can add the optional mushrooms. Just before the hamburger patties are finished, pour about 1/4 of the brown gravy into the baking dish. When patties are done, use a spatula to remove them from the broiler pan & place on top of the gravy in the baking dish. Pour remaining gravy over the top of the hamburger patties, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

I know this sounds complicated but it really isn't. The beauty of it all is that you can put the cooled down patties and gravy in ziplock freezer bags to lay flat in the freezer. Our family has grown up and moved away but I still make the same amount, leave out 2 for dinner that night and freeze the rest so I won't have to cook later. Enjoy!

Servings: 6 to 8
Time:20-25 Minutes Preparation Time
45 Minutes Cooking Time

By Juanita S. from Enid, OK

Salisbury Steak WIth Egg Noodles
Salisbury Steak Recipes
Slow Cooked Steak
Slowing Cooking a Steak in the Oven
rump steak with yellow plum sauce
Cooking Steak Tips and Tricks
Several steaks on the grill.
Leftover Steak Recipes
steaks in a supermarket meat case
Saving Money on Steak