My Vacuum Cleaner Stinks

My sister and her husband are moving to Kuwait and have been clearing out. She very kindly gave me a Dysan vacuum cleaner, which works like a dream - unfortunately it stinks! I have washed all the parts I can. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Trish Maley from London, England

Answers:

My Vacuum Cleaner Stinks

My suggestion would be to sprinkle cinnamon or cloves in the container/bag where the dust goes. this will not only make the room smell good but should eliminate the odor of the vacuum.

Joy from Culbertson , MT (07/20/2006)

By montanaczech

My Vacuum Cleaner Stinks

Or get some of that good smelling stuff that you sprinkle on the carpet, just in case the smell is further down, before you get to the place that collects the dirt. I think that one is a plastic container and you must have already washed that part? I can't imagine what else you could do.
the geni from IL. (07/20/2006)

By The Geni

My Vacuum Cleaner Stinks

Could the smell be coming from the bristles? Did your sister have pets that she vacuumed after? Try sprinkling baking soda on your carpet and vacuuming it up. This should help deodorize the entire unit.

You could also call Dysan and ask what they suggest. (07/21/2006)

By Cheryl from Missouri

My Vacuum Cleaner Stinks

When my vacuum started to stink, I washed all the filters, let them dry, then sprayed them with Febreeze and let dry again. Worked great. On another occasion, for a quick fix, I put a Bounce dryer sheet into the canister. (07/21/2006)

By kimmcg

My Vacuum Cleaner Stinks

Oh, I love, love, love my Dyson. My carpets and floors have NEVER been this clean. Wish I would've bought it two vacuum cleaners ago! Anyway, sounds like you've probably wiped out and around the cyclone pack canister, but did you check the blue filter? Dysons have a washable lifetime filter located in the top of the cyclone pack. Once you release the cyclone from the vacuum, there is another button located near the tools on the opposite side. When you press this button it will flip open and there is a blue filter in a yellow cage. Hand wash both of these in cold water only (not hot!!) until the water runs clear ... but don't use any type of detergent or soap. Don't put the filter in the dishwasher, washing machine, microwave oven, dryer or anything like that!! You should do this at least every 6 months or more often depending on your usage. You'll have to dry the filter fully for at least 12 hours before putting it back on the vacuum. (07/21/2006)

By mef1957

My Vacuum Cleaner Stinks

This could be caused by someone (unknowingly) picking up a trace of water with the vacuum. What you can end up with over time is a bacterial growth inside the unit. Try spraying a small quantity of Lysol (not too much) in the hose with the vacuum running. If you have any filters spray them as well (vacuum off of course). It worked for me. (08/15/2006)

By Doug MacGregor

Hoover Vacuum Stinks When Used
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Vacuum Cleaner Cover
Making a Vacuum Cleaner Cover
Red Vacuum Cleaner
Choosing a Good Vacuum Cleaner
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
🎄