My Zebra Finch Has Laid Eggs

Category Birds
Two zebra finches in a cage.
If your zebra finch has laid eggs, this guide can help give you advice about what to do. Most importantly, do not move or touch the fertile eggs or the mother may reject them.

My finch had two eggs on Thursday, today is Saturday. The eggs were buried in the buttom, so I took the nest out and put the eggs on top. Now the mom doesn't want anything to do with the nest. What do I do now?

Answers

Best Answer

Birds can't smell human. Their sense of smell is poor.

However, their eyesight is better than ours. The birds know exactly where those eggs were and they saw that they were moved.

There is no way for the birds to know a snake didn't disturb the nest. Small birds are terrified of snakes, so they don't want to take the chance in case the snake comes back. In this case, you were the snake.

I'd suggest removing the nest and dumping everything in it. The eggs are no longer alive. Put it back and put fresh nesting materials into the cage. They'll probably start over.

I have a Galapagos finch as a pet and she laid 5 eggs. I wasn't prepared for this to happen and the eggs are without a nest. My question is, are they OK being without a nest?

By Tori from San Antonio, TX

Best Answer

If you do not have a male finch in with her then the eggs are no good. Just toss them out. A female bird will lay eggs but they are not fertile so they will never hatch. You can buy inexpensive bird nests at most any pet store. I don't think it's necessary to have a nest but it does seem to make mama bird feel more secure as she is up higher and away from any predators. I have raised finches and always had nests for them.

I was recently given two zebra finches (1 female, and 1 male) as a gift from my parents. I have only had them for about a month and a half and noticed them mating the last week or so. I have a basic cage that measures 18 X 13 X 10.5 inches with a small bed/nest hanging from the top.

I honestly never expected them to lay an egg, as my parents have had theirs for months and they never had and was told it probably wouldn't happen. Well sure enough, I came home today after work and noticed both the parents in the bed/nest which they have never once used before. When they left the bed/nest I shined a flash light in the bed/nest and noticed an egg. I couldn't believe it!

I have been researching finches and egg laying and have read that they usually lay one egg a day and can lay up to 8! I understand that many times the female will lay an egg, but it may not be fertile and will not hatch - therefore it can be removed after 20 days if nothing has happened.

My concern is that if they do hatch, my cage is just not large enough for more than two finches, but they have already started laying eggs and I have read you should not move them or the eggs until after the baby birds leave the nest and can be on their own. I just want to make sure that information is correct.

My other question is, can I still clean the cage even though they started laying eggs? I normally let the birds out of the cage in the bathroom to fly around while I clean the cage and I normally take the entire cage apart. But with there being eggs in there now, should I just leave the birds in there and only remove the bottom part of the cage that slides out and clean that part off or what? Thank you for any help and advice you can give. I am very new to this and never expected it to happen. Thank you!

By Ariana G

Best Answer

If you are going to move them into a more comfortable size cage (which the bigger the better) then do it now - then you may only sacrifice the one egg. The move will likely upset them, but only for the moment - they will lay again. I would still leave the egg in the nest.

Also, the less you disturb the birds the better once they've been re-housed - so the cleaning of the cage is as you have suggested. Best by just removing the bottom tray and refreshing their water. It will be ok to be a "little" dirty as it's only for a short time.

Once they have been hatched, are fully feathered, and flying you could move them into the smaller cage. Give the big cage a good scrub - with soap and water (and without the use of disinfectant). Then return them to the big cage - I suggest that once the babies are fully weaned that you separate them from their parents as they will likely want to breed again and the babies may get harassed. Good luck! Bird breeding is a joy.

I have two males and a female zebra finch. She laid 7 or 8 eggs and I don't know the first thing about raising birds. What do the chicks eat? How will they survive in the cage? I know the alpha male seems to be the daddy and already he's territorial. I have no idea what to do. Help please.

By Jamie

Best Answer

Well, I don't know anything about Zebra Finches specifically, but I do know a few things about birds (do an online search on Zebra Finches to find out specifics). The mother birds usually feeds the babies, you don't worry about that.

The daddy bird usually stays out of it, but not always, so find that out. Some daddy birds kill the babies, also find that out, you may need to separate mother and babies from him until they are quite a bit larger. In fact this information pretty well covers the whole spectrum of "nature". Hope this helps, kinda :).

I have two zebra finches one male (Micky) and one female (Minny). I recently learned that they have babies in the nest. They have laid eggs before and the babies died and also they have lost eggs. Now I have at least two babies in the nest. What can I do to ensure that the babies survive this time? The babies are maybe a few days old.

By amber.stevens

Congratulations - it is thrilling to have your birds breed sucessfully - but most importantly - do not handle them - leave the parents to care for them - google finches on the internet & read all about the breeding of finches . Keep the parents diet healthy & plentiful - this is a great interest but do your homework.

I have had 2 babies born and fledged (such a surprise to see them, practically the same size as the adults, only difference was the colour on their beaks and we realise they were fledglings) there's a third, a little younger fell out of the nest, I put it back several times... it's smaller than it's siblings. It now cries for anyone to feed it. Although it is feeding itself too. I think it will survive! There are 3 more eggs in the nest, and no Adult as sat on them. I have now taken that away, nest away.

Thank you for your advice, sadly no one fed the young baby flegling and it died, it was upsetting I just didn't know what to do for it. It would open it's mouth to any of the other birds and sometimes they seem to be feeding it, but the siblings may have been taking it's food out of it's mouth.

I was tempted to put it in with the Bengalese (I have one pair) their eggs didn't seem to be Hatching. I assume they were duds because my cat had mauled the female last year, she bathed everyday and healed her own wounds, it was a miracle she survived the attack. This is one of the reasons I thought her eggs were not viable.

I clean the cages out daily and found an egg laid in the seed tray. So I thought I'd pop it in the Bengalese nest,(not looking inside ). Then I looked inside and there was a baby Bengalese newly hatched, luckily the female came back to sit on it. I know it's nature but it's so sad too.Wish me luck, I think these birds have 9 lives.

Hi! I recently had my first fledglings, you are best to leave them alone and one day you will notice birds who look as big as their parents but has black bills and grey and black downy feathers. In a few weeks their beaks will turn orange or red depending on the sex.

It's such a marvelous thing to happen, I had a third baby late comer and it died, because it was either pushed out of the nest by the siblings which would go back to nest for food or the parents did it, I just don't know! You are best to let nature take it's course and leave well alone.

I had 7 finch eggs; 5 hatched, but 2 didn't. Should I take them out?

By Rita

Leave the other two eggs in the nest box until Mom ignores them. If you take the eggs out now and Mom still thinks they might hatch, it can prompt her to lay more eggs right away. This is called "double clutching." Double clutching is not encouraged because it can cause the Mom hen to deplete her calcium.

I've bred large parrots and cockatiels. This is the voice of experience.

MsHawklet is right. Leave the eggs in there for a while. Eventually the parents will push the unhatched eggs out of the nest, then it'll be safe for you to remove them.

I had a pair of zebra finches several years ago that quickly became 7 (5 hatched eggs). This happened a couple of times with them.

I now have two more zebra finches. I didn't want them to breed this time though, so I got two males. They have a grand time together and I don't have to worry about nests or eggs or hatchlings.

My bird laid eggs in the food dish, I have moved the egg to a manmade nest. What do I do now?

By Sangeeta

It's been 30 years since I raised Zebra Finches... loved them. They use to lay eggs in their food dish, too. But my memory doesn't hold like it use to. I suggest you Google raising Zebra Finches. I had a great book, too... and my local pet store took babies, after hatched, to sell!

I'm excited that I saw the first egg laid by my finch in the year that I've had the pair. It was in their lettuce dish. I moved it to their nest, but don't know what to expect. Will she lay more? Is it true they sometimes eat the eggs? I'm researching, but feel inadequate at this point.

By Wendy S.

My zebra finch had laid an egg but they throw their eggs out of the nest. Secondly they lay their eggs with the gap of 10 days is it OK?

By suhaib

My zebra finches laid four eggs and I have now two newly hatched babies. Next to them are two unhatched eggs. Will they hatch still?

By jenalee

How do you care for finch eggs?

By raywj from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:

Caring for Finch Eggs

http://www.trails.com/how_6010_care-gouldian-finches.html
Or search for your question, good luck. (09/10/2009)

By kffrmw88

I have a female finch that laid eggs, but she refuses to sit on them forcing the male to. Every time he comes out to eat or rest she forces him back on it. I'm afraid that she's going to wear the male out. Should I separate them so he can rest?

By Clorisa from Chicago area

Answers:

My female Zebra Finch has laid eggs (4) in the seed dish. There is a nest in the cage, but I guess she liked the dish better. There is still seed in the dish, although I put another food dish in. Should I move the eggs to the nest or leave them. I'm afraid that the babies will smother in the seed when they hatch. Help please ASAP as the eggs are over a week old.
Thanks, Trisha

By Trisha from Lockport, NY

Answers:

My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

Don't disturb them, not when or if they hatch either. Let her raise them there. If you disturb the babies she will kill them by drowning them in the water bowl. (11/19/2009)

By kflawson

My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

I had finches a couple of decades ago and the female laid eggs quite frequently, but none ever hatched.

Unless one or both finches are sitting on the eggs almost constantly they definitely are not going to hatch. It is also possible that the female was not fertilized before the eggs developed so the egg isn't viable ;-)

If they haven't hatched by the 14th day of laying then they certainly won't.

If they do hatch, the mother will not let them smother unless there is something wrong with them. If there is something wrong with them she'll simply push them out of the dish and let them die. (11/19/2009)

By Deeli

My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

Lightly pick up the eggs with a Kleenex and set them gently in the nest, they will get too cold in the dish. (01/24/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

I have a society finch, an owl finch, and recently added a zebra finch. My zebra finch laid 5 eggs in an open nest in the cage. I left them alone and they all hatched and now I have 5 baby birds, so sweet! I thought that my owl finch was a girl, but now believe she's a he. Hope this helps. (04/15/2010)

By Rebeccaspets

I have two finches that have laid egg after egg, they have a total of 9 eggs. I just left the eggs alone because they are still sitting on them. They are taking turns sitting on them, but none have hatched yet. Please can you give me some information about them?

Ashley

Answers:

My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

As most of you have found out, finches will lay eggs anywhere. It all depends on what you want to do with them. If you are into breeding, and want more birds, then please be kind to your finches and put in either a finch nest (very cheap 3 to 5 $) or a box of some sort. It is best not to have the box on the bottom of the cage, as their droppings, old food etc., could contaminate them.

Finches sit on their eggs almost all of the time after laying them. Either one or the other bird will take turns to keep them warm until they hatch. Hatching usually takes about 2 weeks, but finches will lay on eggs forever, even if they never hatch. Because finches are very tiny, they do not lay them all the same day, so a good rule of thumb is to make sure 3 weeks has passed until you discard them.

Remember that the eggs must be in some sort of sheltered area inside the cage, so make it possible for them to be sat on. Finches are funny birds, so if you have more than one female laying eggs, and only one nesting spot, they will all squish inside it to "mother" the eggs and hatchlings. This can cause the babies to be crushed with too much weight. There can even be baby bird legs deformed from being bent or displaced due to over crowding.

I have added a pic of a standard finch nest, but you can make one out of cardboard. They do need a nesting material for the nest, fibre branches and rolls are sold (if you want to buy stuff) or Kleenex, toilet paper, etc, can be torn and stuck into the rungs of the cage. Just leave it there, the birds will take care of building their own nest.

I hope this helps. Right now I have 2 pair of coupled finches, and 6 eggs. I raised others for years just for fun.

Enjoy. Oh, don't forget to give your finches bird gravel, and a cuddle bone. This helps them to have strong eggs, so they harden. They also love pieces of apple, lettuce, etc.

(05/19/2009)

By Dee_itsme

RE: My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

I have a female and male Zebra finch. They have laid 4 eggs in the food dish and 1 on the bottom of the cage. They sat on them for about a week and then quit sitting on them. My husband noticed yesterday that there was 2 more eggs, and today there was another 1 in the dish.

We are wondering what to do because we think that the ones that were there at first might be no good, but we do not know which ones where just laid. Can you help us by telling us what we should do. Thanks.

Donna from Barrie, Ontario

Answers:

My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

You don't say if you have a nest in the cage. They sell small nests for finches. If they have a nest they will probably sit on the eggs and they will hatch. You really don't have to do much, they take care of them all by themselves. As for the eggs you have now that they haven't sat on, yes, I would get rid of them. But do get a nest and some nesting material, all can be found at any pet store. I only know because I have had finches in the past and they raised 3 sets of off springs, very cute.

But of course once the youngin's get of age they need to be put in a different cage. They can attack the mom (wanting to take over the "nest") once they get older and I'm sure you don't want that. Good luck. Tweet, tweet!

And, before I forget, I hope you also feed them more than bird seed. They love fresh veggies and fruit. Mine had a feddish for cucumbers and lettuce. Experiment and see what they like. (03/21/2009)

By LULUbobo

My Finch Has Laid Some Eggs

I've also had a male and a female. They had so many babies I sold them back to the pet store. What I did was get them nesting material at the pet store. They made their own nest and laid the eggs in the nest. I never had an egg that didn't hatch. I had 2 birdcages. When there were just too many and getting out of hand, that's when I sold them back to the pet shop. They know what to do if you get them the proper materials. (03/23/2009)

By Delilah500

I have two finch birds, a boy and a girl, they have laid eggs and I don't know if they are going to hatch.