Mysterious Grease Stains on Clothing

I just bought a new washer and some of my clothes come out with what looks like discoloration or grease spots all over them. Not everything, just 2 or 3 things. It is a GE. Has anyone had any kind of problem like this? I thought it may be fabric softeners or laundry soap, but it isn't. I've tried rewashing and using stain remover and it is there to stay. I think it is coming from the washer somehow.

By Pam from Canadian, TX

Answers:

Mysterious Grease Stains on Clothing

Ditto here. I have a GE too, and it was leaving dark blotches on a number of items with every wash. Repeated washings did nothing to clean the stains.

I've done two things that I think have helped: Started using a cup of vinegar in the washer (instead of bleach), and stopped washing anything greasy (kitchen towels and potholders) with the whites. Greasy items get soaked in ammonia in the sink, then get hand-washed and rinse. These items don't get to go in my washer and dryer anymore.

FYI: I also reduced my detergent down considerably but I don't think that had anything to do with the spots.

Hope this helps. (08/21/2010)

By Nextbatterup

Mysterious Grease Stains on Clothing

Ladies, you have cleared up a mystery for me. I have had the same kind of problem (I also have GE) and started noticing these spots on my husband's white briefs and my kitchen towels. I tried everything under the sun to remove these discolorations and nothing has worked. I ran my washer full of water and Clorox and let it go through the wash cycle. I also started adding vinegar to each wash load. This was driving me crazy trying to figure out the problem. All I knew was that I had never had this problem before with my old Maytag washer, only with the G.E. (08/21/2010)

By indianlady

Mysterious Grease Stains on Clothing

When I got those grease marks the repair man said that it was my transmission leaking. (08/21/2010)

By erinj

Mysterious Grease Stains on Clothing

After the stains started showing up I figured it was time for a new washer/dryer. Before I went out to invest in a new set, I did some research and I switched my laundry detergent to Charlies Soap (a more natural soap) with 1/2 cup of Arm and Hammer super washing soda (not baking soda), which I can only find in the grocery store. After about 3 washes and following the instructions, I am happy to say no more stains! I also let the water oscillate for 5 minutes before I add the clothes. I don't know if it was the soap or the the soda or the combination of the two, but all I can say is that it worked for me! No more ruined expensive clothes. (09/15/2010)

By usmcwife02

Mysterious Grease Stains on Clothing

I have a Kenmore top loader. Take the softener dispenser cup out of the machine by pulling straight up - hard! You will see a small disc that keeps moisture out of the agitator. Pull the disc out and clean it and the outer gasket. Check that the housing cup came out of for clear, white, brown, black or brown greasy globs. There are 3 or 4 tiny holes in the sides of the agitator that actually dispense the softener. Check these for build up too. I use Dawn and an old rag, and Q-tips to clean all. Let dry. Snap the disc back into the agitator. Be sure it is snapped in all the way around. Next, run the dispenser cup under hot water for a while to help melt the build up. Then unscrew the cup top from the bottom. This will be very hard to do. Keep up with the hot water until you can unscrew the cup.

You should have a creepy mess on the inside. Clean with Dawn and hot water until clean. I use rubber gloves because it is so awful looking. After the mess is cleaned up, I clean it with Windex, dry it and reassemble it. Snap the cup back in place by pushing it down onto the agitator until you hear it snap in place. Check the inside of the washer lid and the collar that keeps the socks in the tub and clean with Dawn also. I then run an empty load with a tiny amount of detergent and some Clorox. I have to do this about 4 times a year to keep the stains away. (10/09/2010)

By kbar1965

Woman removing a Grease stain.
Removing Grease (Oil) Stains from Clothing
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
person in t-shirt pouring food oil in bowl
Cleaning Food Oil Stains from T-Shirts
Woman in white lace shirt gazing down
Removing Grease Stains on Lace Clothing
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
🎉
🎄