Nail Polish Remover on Table

My daughter spilt nail varnish remover on our small table. The stain is white and very rough; what can I do to put it right? The table is made of yew, and highly polished.

Marion

Best Answer

Since this was nail polish remover, it has done to the table what it was meant to do to your nails; removed (or at least ruffled) the finish. So the sanding and refinishing will be necessary. Probably the whole table top since you will probably never be able to match the refinished area to the rest of the tabletop.

An alternative to consider is painting instead of staining the wood. Being sure to sand with the grain of the wood, get the roughness restored to as smooth as possible. If you have to spot sand too much, you may create a dip of sorts in the surface. So sand the rest of the tabletop as well, at least the surrounding areas...always with the grain, never against. Then paint the table top with a complimentary paint color. Painting is much easier to do as well as it covers the affected spot better than any stain would especially since you may not be able to sand far enough down to get all the original stain/finish off.

I have a new dresser, one of those glade plug ins liquid spilled on it and took the wood color right off, what can I do?

This is a miracle! I had a beautiful, oak table that I spilled nail polish on YEARS ago. I thought it was ruined, and was trying to sell on Craigslist. I found this thread and thought, why not try? It removed the white stain COMPLETELY! Like brand new! I applied some oil and it is just amazing. I cleaned first, dried with a cloth, and then used the white washcloth. You have to be patient, and go kind of slow. I did a few rubs then looked, a few more. It seemed like nothing was happening, then it just kind of vanished!

Anonymous

Coconut oil works well

Best Answer

I just reread your post that the table is yew. Painting is probably the least desired effect you are wanting. The high polish is just a very thick layer of clear varnish. The whiteness is the result of the remover trying to break it down (so it could be removed).

Sanding will work, but a faster solution might be to strip the entire surface of the table chemically with a paint or varnish stripper product available most anywhere. Then redo that thick coat of clear varnish.

It may be worth it to seek out a professional furniture refinisher to do this work to get the best result for the beautiful yew wood.

Sorry, I have been there. The way I fixed mine by trial and error was to finally scuff the polish stain down. Making surface smooth again. Followed by matching color of table best that I could the after that dried I put on new clear coat. Never could tell it happened.

You can get kits that have small amounts of refinishing product in them. I found it to be cheaper buying smallest container.

If scared to use lowest grain sand paper, try using back of wet sponge. The kind with scratch side. It should be fine. Don't panic make sure each step is complete before going on. Also before matching color clean area well, since using wet sand paper or sponge let dry completely. May need to put 2 layers of clear coat on, or even put a coat over the whole table. That way it will still have a shine, be protected even more.

I found about the same thing as Luana M.

Here it is:

To repair the area, the polish remover must be removed with sandpaper, and the appropriate surrounding stain color then applied to the damaged area. Though more work is required to do so, the entire tabletop may be sanded to more easily cover and tie in the area with the same color stain.

Get some normal vinegar and put a spoonful of table salt in it. Poor on cloth and wipe on nail polish.leave for 5 minutes then wipe of with clean water. The stain should have more or less gone but may need a couple more wipes down with clean water. DO NOT reuse the vinegar bit as this will destroy your surface!

Anonymous

I did the iron and washcloth tip first... Didn't do a thing. As an act of desperation I went for the mayo and ashes. Seemed like a wives tale but it actually helped a little! Stain shrunk a little and smoothed out. The table is still discolored but at least it isn't rough and bumpy.

I immediately put dark wood furniture polish over where remover spilt and can't see marks at all after 15min if leaving it to soak in