Natural Baking Soda As Underarm Deodorant

My favorite way to use baking soda for reasons both healthy and frugal is as an underarm deodorant. I have tried various natural deodorants and all have fallen short in controlling odor. Because baking soda balances ph levels and neutralizes acid, it works and I find the effects of it work all day long.

To make your own inexpensive and natural deodorant, combine equal amounts of baking soda and cornstarch. I add a few drops of pure lavender essential oil for fragrance (plus this works as a bacteria inhibitor) and place in a tightly sealed bowl, add a powder puff and voila!, you'll have the most effective, simple and money saving natural deodorant one might find.

By earth heart from Polk, Ohio

Answers:

Another deodorant can be rubbing alcohol. Just put it in a spray bottle and spritz underarms. It is a disinfectant as well as deodorant. You can also use it as a hand sanitizer. (01/23/2008)

By suzin

This is EXACTLY what I have been using as deodorant for almost 20 years now. I like to spray alcohol under my
arms (a squirt bottle works too) and when it's almost
dry I dust on some of my deodorant with the powder puff. In summer, or when I'm working outside in the heat,
I prefer to use white vinegar first. Make sure it is completely dry and then dust with the powder. It works better than anything else I've ever tried. Just be sure
the vinegar is dry or you will get that famous "volcano"
reaction as the dry baking soda comes into contact with the vinegar. Don't want a volcano under your arms! (01/23/2008)

By Patti

I have a friend (an RN) whose husband (auto mechanic) has used this for decades, not because of health or environmental reasons, but because it works. (01/24/2008)

By susanmajp