Natural Remedies for Indigestion

Category Home Remedies
Man With Indigestion
A pain or burning sensation in the upper abdomen is a disorder of the digestive tract. This is a guide about natural remedies for indigestion (dyspepsia).

Take 2 tsp of cumin and boil it with 1 glass of water. Add a few mint leaves and let it simmer till it reduces to half a glass. Strain the mixture and add sugar as per taste and drink it. This remedy has helped me and a lot of other people cure their indigestion problems. This is a natural remedy without any side effects.

By Khan R. from Bangalore, India

I have a relative with indigestion regularly that won't take over the counter or prescriptions if she can possibly help it. Other than milk thistle, which is great for indigestion, can anyone tell me what they have done which eliminated the problem using only foods or natural items? I've heard lemons can somehow be helpful.

Thanks so much
Full Pint

my nan used to swear by peppermint, she used to keep a packet of extra strong mints in the house for indegestion.

1. stay away from spicy or acidic foods

2. chew gum

3. buy (now over the counter) and use Prilosec pills

4. eat small, frequent meals

5. before every large meal take a pill to help with acidity (Beano)

6. after every large meal, swallow a digestive enzyme pill (health food stores)

7. see a gastroenterologist doctor because GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) can kill when stomach cells come up with the acid in the esophagus and plant themselves.

Esophageal cancer doesn't need to happen.

8. eat vegan food because it's lower in acid than animal products and causes less distress (the McDougall diet is a great place to start)

I, too, rely on peppermint for indegestion. I rarely have it, and I attribute the natural peppermint for this. Personally I don't need anything particularly strong, just peppermint candy like starbrites! bbb

Peppermint works great, but it too sometimes gives me heartburn. I find that drinking milk with a meal, or even before the meal, helps to coat your stomach. I can't eat Italian food without getting heartburn or acid reflux, and the milk always helps.

I agree that peppermint is a good quick remedy. But for long term relief, I take acidophilus. I've taken Prilosec, Tagamet, Rolaids, Tums, you name it, I tried it. But for me, the only thing that helps me is acidophilus. I take three in the morning, and two at night. I buy them at Walgreens, or Walmart, and a month's supply usually costs me around five dollars.

All of those suggestions are great, but, if your relative has not yet done so, she should go to the doctor and make sure that the indigestion is not being caused by some underlying problem that needs other treatment.

I was just told that taking two tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar daily helps with the acid in the stomach, if there is acid present. your stomach doesn't need to make more. And.... Vinegar is good for you! Dee

You didn't say what kind of indigestion, so here are a few of my favorites; Ginger tea for nausea and gas, peppermint tea for acid indigestion, a good chewable enzyme with meals. If the enzymes help, try one with betain hcl. For an ulcer condition DGL works great! For a cramping feeling try camomile tea.

I've had really good luck chewing celery. If you notice, sometimes it even numbs your tongue a bit.

I swear by chamomille tea, at all hours of the morning I was hit bad without any rollaids or pepto in the house, I brewed up a cup and within the hour it was gone, and usually a bad spell for me will last 6

Stomach gas is an extremely universal problem which largely results due to improper eating habits."

Just as the problem is extremely common, so has modern medicine derived novel ways to keep the problems in check - antacids.

How modern antacids work?

As the name suggests, antacids work by using a base to neutralize the acid. These "neutralizers" are generally salts of calcium, magnesium, sodium or aluminum. Therefore, they use an external influence rather than helping the body to use its own power to treat stomach acidity.

Side effects

Sometimes, certain antacids can cause side-effects such as headaches, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, stomach pains and in some case fatigue. Long - term effects with continued use may include damage to the kidneys, heart or bones.

The healthier alternative

Certain herbs can have extraordinary effects on the digestive process by improving absorption. Tablets made of these herbs use the power of nature's own bounty to treat stomach gas, stomach pains and abdominal bloating.

Amritdhara is one such ayurvedic herbal preparation that is very effective in relieving excess flatulence, stomach gas, stomach pains and abdominal bloating. It is very effective in cases of distension and heaviness in the stomach. It dramatically reduces acidity in the stomach .

What it contains

Each ml. of Amritdhara solution contains:

Ajwain (Ajowan or Carum Copticum) extract: 0.200 gms.

Pudina (Mint) extract: 0.050 gms.

Clove oil: 0.002 ml.

Camphor: 0.400 gms.

Eucalyptus Oil: to make 1 ml.

Ajowan (Ajwain) is a very effective herb for relieving indigestion flatulence, and spasmodic disorders.

Mint extracts have excellent carminative and digestive properties. They provide quick natural relief from stomachache, gas and indigestion without any side effects.

Camphor, in small doses camphor warms the stomach, stimulates secretion, increases peristalsis, and expels flatus.

Clove oil stimulates peristalsis.

When combined in predetermined proportions, they present a POWERFUL concoction that works wonders on stomach health.

How it works

A few drops of Amritdhara help normalize the peristaltic movements - a major cause of stomach discomfort. It is effective in healing stomach bloating and stomach heaviness caused by excessive gas formation.

Directions for use:

For stomach pains, stomach gas or indigestion, add 3-4 drops of herbal Amritdhara to lukewarm water and drink. May be taken thrice a day or even hourly in case of acute cases.

For greater effect, the Amritdhara drops may be added to a decoction of fennel seeds (saunf).

Soon after intake, you should experience a relief in symptoms such as an urge to release stomach gas, or a subsiding of stomach pains and abdominal bloating.

The most important benefit is the absence of any side effect when taken in recommended dosage. It should not effect the body adversely. However, in the extreme unlikely event of an undesired effect, please discontinue use.

visit www.globalstore.tk to know more

Natural remedies would include probiotics and enzymes. The very best are distributed by Celltech. They are wildcrafted whole and organic food. See Celltech.com/cherylr.

Does anyone know how to treat dyspepsia the easiest and cheapest way? I seem to have a recurrent dyspepsia. I am going back and forth to the doctor; yet those expensive medications don't really work that fast.

By jjjoannep