New Dog Not Going to The Bathroom

Poodle standing on top of a closed toilet
Dogs may become stressed when they move to a new house or family. This can translate into problems going pee or poop. This is a guide about new dog not going to the bathroom.

My husband and I just rescuded a Border Collie/Chow mix yesterday. She had a sore on her bottom, I am guessing it was from the wet floor in the kennel at the shelter. We plan to take her to the vet this weekend to see what the sore is about. She has a hard time sitting because obvisously it hurts.

She refuses to go to the bathroom during walks. I'm not sure if she's holding it because of the sore on her bottom or she thinks that walks are for exercise only. She will sniff the grass but won't go. Last night after dinner she went to the door we put the leash on her took her out walked for 45 minutes wouldn't go. My mom took her for a long walk outside for about two hours or so earlier in the afternoon wouldn't go. She hasn't gone since she left the shelter. I started to worry.

When we came back from the walk she urinated on her dog pillow. You could tell she felt bad about it. I am not sure if she is confused as to where to go or is she holding it due to the sore on her bottom? We can't just let her outside due to the fact we are condo owners. I took her out for a walk this morning and she didn't go and my husband tried to take her in the middle of the night as well and nothing either. Please help!

Melissa from HI

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, there is a problem here, but it may have multiple origins. The sore on her bottom could be the problem, or she could have a urinary infection. Be sure to get her to the vet ASAP, and if you can't get an appointment right away, call the vet's emergency phone number. Don't be shy about it.

Our rescue Springer Spaniel, Magic, did not poop for three days after we got him. We were worried, but finally discovered that he really needs to run free for a few minutes before he poops. In other words, you'll discover her preferences and "mental problems" over time, but I would have this checked out immediately.

I think potty problems are typical of a lot of rescued dogs. She has been through so much trauma, and this may be her way of expressing the anguish.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Patti

Best Answer

As everyone advised, get your dog to the vet ASAP. The sore isn't her only issue though. Because you don't know her history you don't know if she was ever housebroken. Begin with the vet then either hire a trainer to help you train your dog or research obedience training including housebreaking. It is possible that her previous owners may have traumatized her by rubbing her nose in her feces or pee if she had an 'accident' on the floor. When this happens, the dog will not eliminate in front of the owner any longer, instead, will hide somewhere and 'go'. She may be afraid to 'go' in front of you or anyone else. If the vet gives her a clean bill of health then you must begin to potty train her as if she were a puppy. You didn't say how old this dog is but if she is a pup, she can only hold her bladder for as many hours as she is months old plus one. If she is six months old, she can hold it for seven hours. If she is an adult, she can hold it up to 12 or 13 hours. If she is only a pup, she needs to be in a crate and put on a regular potty schedule. Make sure she is also on a regular feeding and water schedule as well. Training will go much faster and easier if you are consistent and reward her for 'going' in the designated potty area, meaning, take her to the same location out the same door each time. She will get the idea that when she needs to 'go', she will always use the same area. I strongly recommend crating your dog but never use a crate for punishment and if your dog has an accident in the house, do not scold her. Just say something like, "oops!", clap your hands to stop her in midstream and immediately take her to her potty area. Praise her lavishly and you might want to give her a little treat after she goes. This training may take you awhile but please be patient. This poor dog probably has suffered at the hands of some stupid owner and it's obvious, otherwise, the dog wouldn't have wound up in a shelter. You can love her all you want but training and consistency is the key. Good luck with your new 'baby'.

My mother and I just bought a a dog from a nice lady. She said her friend's ex left her tied to their fence. She is a 7 year old Shih Tzu mix (probably poodle as well). That being said she got fleas pretty badly which we are taking care of. When I walk her she goes pee, but she won't poop. I've had her for just two days. I'm sure she's still stressed with all the moving. I just want to make sure there isn't more I can do before her vet visit; she drinks enough water. Is there anything else I can do?

Answers

My friend swears by pumpkin for her dogs when they don't poop. Pumpkin is high in water content and a great source of fiber. You can either puree fresh pumpkin or use canned pureed pumpkin but not the sweetened "spice" type.

You can rub her belly gently. You can also give her coconut oil (1T for 45 lb dog).

Thank you!

Thank you

Thank you!

We just picked up a Lab, Pit, Mastiff, Boxer mix yesterday. The dog will pee just fine, but has not pooped yet and it has been 19 hours. I do have an appointment at the vet to get the dog fixed and an office visit, but that is not for another 4 days counting today. There are no bruises, rashes, or bites of any kind. There is no way I can let my dog run loose. Please help.

I would call the vet. Waiting 4 days to see him is too long. The dog will probably go soon, but you deserve peace of mind.

Just the other day, I got a new dog. He is a Dachshund named Dom, I had gotten him from a friend of mine. My friend lives in the city and I live out in the country, so it was quite a long drive for him. I took him out for a walk along my property, hoping that he would go to the bathroom. He didn't, but I thought it was just because he went earlier. A few hours later, he had drank a bit and I thought he was ready to go. Nope, nothing. I started to get worried and there is still nothing, I don't know what to do and I'm scared that something will happen. What's wrong, what should I do?

Is he trained to go outside? Some are trained to only go inside on pads or paper. I would ask the friend what the routine is for the dog.