New Ideas for Meatloaf

Several Healthy Ideas

My family loves meatloaf. Trying to change it up so it is healthier has been interesting. To save you some time and energy, here are my tips for a yummy, healthy meatloaf.

1. Saute the onions, green pepper and garlic in a little olive oil. Remove from heat and cool.
  2. Next is the fun part, wash your hands and then combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Instead of putting your meat mixture in a pan, shape your meat mixture and place it on a broiler pan coated with a cooking spray, while your meat loaf is cooking all the excess grease will drip down into the bottom of the broiler pan.
  4. Brush the top of your meat loaf with tomato paste watered down to the consistency of ketchup, or use another liquid like picante sauce, or barbecue sauce. I have done all three depending on what mood I am in.
  5. Use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature for doneness. I use a mixture of ground beef and turkey, more beef then turkey, so it is done at 165 degrees.

The final step is to let the meat loaf stand for at least ten minutes before slicing.

While the meat loaf is resting, make your own slices of garlic bread by using up any day old bread you have on hand. Mix light butter with the minced garlic, spread on slices of bread and broil. By the time this is done, your meat loaf is ready to serve. Have a large green salad with it and you have a great meal. We also have leftovers for another meal or cold meat loaf sandwiches.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Corn Chips And Salsa

I sometimes put crushed corn chips (unsalted) in the mix and top with salsa. My M.I.L always drained hers half way through the cooking, she always put a can of tomato soup (undiluted) over the top and green peppers in the meatloaf. It always made a lovely sauce.

By MJJJOY

Oatmeal Instead Of Breadcrumbs

I have heard of using oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs to make it healthier. I tried it once, and I liked it, but my hubby won't eat oatmeal under any circumstances, so I haven't made it that way again, but it would be healthier!

By Sbaker

Let The Meatloaf Rest

Someone asked, "What the purpose is of letting the meatloaf sit for 10 minutes?"

It is to allow the juices to soak back into the meat. If you slice right away the juice runs out and the rest of the meat gets dry. At least this is what my husband tells me and he cooks for a profession. So I just do it and it makes him happy. :)

By caraing

New Ideas for Meatloaf

Meatloaf is something that I don't prepare by any certain recipe, all the time. I do make it several times a year. We don't like cold meatloaf sandwiches, like many others do. It was never served this way in my parent's household, while I was growing up. But there are two things that I do always do to my meatloaf before putting it in the oven.

1. I take a steak knife and poke holes in my meatloaf and drizzle worcestershire sauce over the holes and sides of the meatloaf.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, I mix 2-8 oz. cans of tomato sauce and brown sugar (can use brown sugar substitute) to taste, not too sweet. Pour over the meatloaf and cover completely. I like to make up more sauce than what it requires for the meatloaf. This way, I have plenty of sauce to serve with the meatloaf. This sauce doesn't have to be heated before serving. The sauce keeps for a few days in the fridge. If I've frozen some meatloaf, for a later use. I choose to make my meatloaf sauce just before serving. I like to pour the sauce over the thawed meatloaf before heating and serve the extra meatloaf sauce on the side.

By badwater

Here is a link to other Meatloaf Tips on ThriftyFun

Meat Loaf
Meat Loaf Tips and Tricks
Meatloaf
Stretching Meatloaf
Stuffed Meatloaf
Stuffed Meatloaf Recipes
Mexican Meatloaf
Mexican Meatloaf Recipes
Mini Meat Loaf
Muffin Tin Meatloaf Recipes
🎉
🎄