Night Safety Tips

Category Personal
Night Safety Pedestrian Crossing
After the sun sets, it is important to make sure you can safely find your way around your home and yard, and be easily seen if you venture out. This is a guide about night safety tips.

Peel off backing from safety glow tape and decorate a lamp shade with it. Mine has a simple design. As it charges in the day, it is then ready for night, acting like a nightlight for free!

Look around the room and see where else you can use the glow tape for a little comfort light at night. I have it on the inside of several door casings in my home and normally don't have to switch on lights to pass through dark rooms!

Invest in some quality glow paint and, for a little cash, teenagers could offer to paint the shades (or other items) or do a decoration on them for other people. Once it catches on, you might have a small at home business you could work from out of any vented out of the way space!

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car.

Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.

If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your house, odds are the burglar or rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds, all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and, sure enough, the criminal won't want that.

And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there.

Source: email from my friend Linda

To make it easier to get around in the dark, I took some glow-in-the-dark paint (or you could use glow-in-the-dark decals) and put some around each door handle in the house. I also put just a couple of glow-in-the-dark decals on my sliding glass doors.

I also put one on the tank of each toilet, positioning it so it can be seen even if the lid is left up. And one close to the sinks in the bathrooms. And finally one on the fridge, close to the handle.

This way I don't have to turn the lights on for simple things I may want to do at night.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

This is a really cool idea. Next time you come home for the night and you to to put your keys away, think of this:

If you have a car with automatic locks, it's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Start keeping your car keys next to your bed on the night stand when you go to bed at night.

If you think someone is trying to get into your house, or if you hear a noise outside yor house, just press the panic alarm on your car key chain. Test it, It will go off from most everywhere Inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.

If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your house, odds are the burglar or rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that.

Try yours to make sure it works before you rely on it. Just know that you must press the alarm button again to turn it off.

Even during hot weather, make sure you lock your doors at night. Put poles in your sliding glass doors so no one can push them open. Install deadbolt locks in all major outside doors. Have motion detector lights outside. If you have a fenced yard, make sure you have locks on your gates that open with only a key or combination.

By Mythi from Silverdale WA

I thought this would be a good way of added safety, too We do this at night to help with airflow between our rooms since we have furbabies we keep out of the hall at night. We put a bungee cord around one door handle and then hook the other end around another nearby door.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

My Dad is on oxygen 24/7 and has a canula in his nose, and the tubes go around his ears to hold it on. Does anyone know of any tips to keep the thing on at night other than taping it to his head? We can't do this, of course, but any other suggestions will be appreciated!

Diane from Midwest

Editor's Note: Diane's father passed away before this could be published in a newsletter. This may be helpful to someone in the future so we will publish it. Please everyone keep Diane and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Take the tubing that goes around his ears and leave the whole thing behind his head, main tube that usually hangs under his neck will now rest at the base of his neck. Tighten the little piece of plastic which usually tightens under his chin and tighten at the base of his skull. Just make sure he is alert enough that when he's sleeping that he rotates with the tubing. If not alert run tubing in the back of his night shirt, to prevent getting it aroung his neck while sleeping.

If you dont want to put it behind his head you can use one of the straps that athletes use to keep thier glasses on. You may have to make ajustments in case tubing is to thin, rap tape around tubing. You could make a similar device with velcro or elastic. Measure from back of ear to back of ear, with elastic make sure its snug so it wont slip,like a half head band. Secure around tubing you have marked for proper fit and placement, fix one just for night use only so you can change the tubing in am an not have to fasten and unfasten your stap from the tubing. Good Luck.

Thank you for your suggestion--my Dad passed away on Saturday. But maybe this can help someone else. Thanks again.

Editor's Note: So sorry to hear this. Our sincere condolences are with you. Take care.

Thank you for your condolences--my family appreciates it. We are blessed in so many ways!!

I want to convey my deepest condolences to you on the loss of your dad and he will always be with you in your thoughts and in your heart. God Bless you!

I lost my dear Dad 6 months ago today. So sorry--sounds like your Dad is better off now like my Dad is--my Dad had Parkinson's disease for half his life--starting at age 38.

I'm so sorry for your loss but thought I might give a tip incase anyone read this needing an idea. I had a baby on oxygen and the hospital gave us little round band aid type adhesives that stuck to her cheeks and then had a second layer to stick the tubes to. You can get them at the hospital if you ask or at a medical supply store. They are cheep and very helpful.

Sorry for your loss