Nikko Blue Hydrangea Not Blooming

How do I get my Nikko Blue hydrangea to bloom? I planted it 3 years ago, and it has never bloomed. I planted one in full shade, and one in morning sun with partial shade.

Nancy from Greenwood, IN

Answers:

Nikko Blue Hydrangea Not Blooming

I absolutely LOVE hydrangeas, they bring back memories of hiding under beautiful blue hydrangea bushes as a child. Anyway, I've decided just to buy one hydrangea bush to plant at my new place. I was going to plant a bunch because a gal who sells them and has over 40 hydrangea bushes herself. She told me that the reason they are named "HYDRA" is because they need LOTS of hydration (water). She said hers are planted right next to a creek that runs through her property & they still aren't over watered! She told me that they need to be watered each & every day (even though we live in Seattle & our grass usually stays green all year long even without watering). I don't want my water bill to go up, so I've decided to keep my hydrangea plants to a minimum.

So, that's my question to you about your blooms. Are you watering your Hydrangea enough? Apparently they need to be flooded! Also, did you know that hydrangeas are a snap to propagate. Just take a small cutting at a place where a leaf will grow in the future and put that in clean water. You don't even need rooting hormone! I guess they are one of the easiest plants to propagate. Pretty soon you'll have dozens, and your water bill will be in the hundreds of dollars :). (02/18/2008)

By Cyinda

Nikko Blue Hydrangea Not Blooming

I have a white hydrangea. It took longer than three years before it got flowers on it. Gardening sometimes takes patience. :) (02/22/2008)

By Carol in PA