Noisy Budgies

How do you keep two Budgies (male and female) from screeching their heads off all the time?

By Jovin from Niagara Falls, ON

Answers:

Noisy Budgies

Good luck on this one. Wish I could help. I had 2 parakeets once and wound up having to get rid of them. Even after I got rid of the first one, the second one screeched even worse, I think because he was looking for his partner.

I did find some birds tho that are actually a joy to listen to, Zebra finches. They are birds that you should have at least 2 of, but you need to be careful though and get both of one sex or you'll soon be over run with birds. I got a male and a female and within a few months I had 7 birds (they hatched 5 eggs). But the sound they make when they are chattering is so soothing. I thoroughly enjoyed my birds. I'm trying to send a photo of a pair (trying that is!), but the female is the one without the big orange cheeks. In case the photo doesn't come through, check out http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/7134/normal.html

and click on Normal. They are really adorable little birds. (07/20/2009)

By Cricketnc

Noisy Budgies

Birds are noisy and messy. You can cover them up as already suggested, but keeping them in the dark is not healthy. If they are that bothersome to you I suggest selling or giving them away.

Sorry to disagree, but not all pet stores keep them behind glass because of the noise. They are kept behind glass because they are small and easy to steal, as are other small birds, and also to contain all the mess they create. As a breeder I have worked with many many pet stores and I even owned one before a large pet store chain opened up nearby. (07/21/2009)

By WhitesAttic

Noisy Budgies

If you are interested in a pet that doesn't make much noise, may I suggest fish, not birds. Budgies are flock creatures and their "screeching" is their way of keeping in communication with and socializing with their flock. That includes anyone in the house. They love to sing, talk, and interact with others. If they are loud, it is to try and get your attention. If you are interested in keeping them, interact with them more and see if that doesn't help calm them down. There are many websites that give wonderful information and advice on the care and behavior of budgies. Use Google and check them out, please. And good luck with your feathered friends! (07/21/2009)

By chriself

Noisy Budgies

I so agree with Cricketnc about Zebra Finches. I had a pair once named Romeo and Juliet and they were such a joy to listen to with their sweet voices! And I always got a kick out of their greeting me in the morning when removing their night blanket and every time the phone rang. I guess I lucked out because they were indeed male and female, but he never fertilized her eggs. Guess he was impotent.

Maybe a pet store will make a trade with you so you can have more suitable and soothing feathered friends. (07/21/2009)

By Deeli

Noisy Budgies

I have a parrot and my best friend breeds birds. What I would do is separate them, first. Put them in different rooms and then interact with each as often as you can. Then when they scream you just ignore them, turn your back on them and only interact when they are quiet. Birds are smarter than most people think. It's how I get mine to not do things I hate. (07/21/2009)

By c t

Noisy Budgies
Pet Goose
Photos and Information About Pet Geese
Fixing Noisy Plumbing Pipes
Quieting/Soundproofing Noisy Plumbing Pipes
Chalked-browed mockingbird opening its mouth.
Getting Rid of Mockingbirds
🎉
🎄