Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Nonsurgical Remedies for a Dog With Cataracts

There are a number of products that are sold to treat canine cataracts, some by slowing the development of the condition. However, the medical consensus is that surgery is the only true cure for this vision impairment. This is a guide about nonsurgical remedies for a dog with cataracts.

Has anyone used the drops they have on internet for canine cataracts? They are 39.99. They say the first month takes a whole bottle and after that it should last 2 months or so.

Best Answer

It is recommended that you see a veterinarian ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

vet. Cataracts require surgery.

I discovered a couple of weeks ago that my baby's right eye (which has always been crystal clear just like the left one), was really foggy. I took her to the vet and she has a cataract! She is only 5 years old. I really do not want her to have surgery, but I also do not want her to go blind in that eye, especially since she is only 5 years old.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

Thanks.

By Tina

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Other than surgery, there is really no cure for cataracts. While drops make your dog more comfortable, they cannot reverse the damage to the lens. A dog with cataracts is not totally blind. They can see light and shadows and can usually get around in places they are familiar with. But the only way for your dog to see well is to have the surgery. I would consider doing it now before a cataract develops in the other eye. As dogs get older Vets are more inclined not to do the surgery.

Best Answer

Yes, I have done many. Tried it on myself first and when it worked I started on foster dogs and those in need. Go back on my posts for more info but you will need - a gentle eyedrop - pure MSM crystals (not from capsule) raw fresh flax oil from health food store (I use refrigerated Barleans). The Barleans does not go to waste as it is good for them by mouth as well.

Eyedrops...keep clean and add 1 teaspoon per ounce of pure MSM. Start 3 x day (spaced) --put drop or 2 of Flax oil in each eye. 5 to 30 minutes later put drop or 2 of eye solution.

=3 x day for few days ---2 x day few days

-1 x day week - every other day on on and on. Cataracts will be gone but continue for 2 months. By that time you will be down to about 2 x week. More details on my past posts.

My fee? help others. Animals feel pain and fear same as us. Very frightening to be blind. Do not vaccinate or use steroids as that is probably contributed or even caused the problem. The one time the remedy did not work was when the dog was given steroids.

This remedy does nothing for glaucoma. If there is glaucoma there is enormous pain and pressure in the head. A constant migraine. Eyes usually need removed after a while on anti-pressure meds. I have several without eyes because of glaucoma. They do beautifully. Please never abandon because of blindness.

I wanted to know this too, although dogs do not see well to begin with it is an intersting question to me...here are some resources I found on my search.

http://www.ehow … g-cataracts.html

(There are eyedrops that are over the counter, or online.)

There are also prescription eyedrops you could get from your vet.

The following eyedrops are sold at wisechoicemedicne.com and one-percent carnosine over-the-counter eyedrops at this address:

http://wisechoi … p?products_id=31

Adding vitamins C and E to your pet's food, says Dr. Ron Hines, D.V.M., of 2ndchance.com, may slow the progression of his cataracts. He also recommends feeding a balanced diet and minimizing the time your dog spends in the bright sun.

I also went to drsfostersmith.com and found these drops, which are likely to help.

http://www.drsf … cfm?pcatid=24626

Interestingly enough I have seen this supplement before in my research for autism. Very interesting to me!

Blessings,

Robyn

Pets HealthMarch 14, 2017
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Physician Treating Cataracts
Preventing and Treating Cataracts
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 7:44:17 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.