North Carolina Christmas Charities

Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Every year ThriftyFun gets numerous requests from people looking for help for their families for Christmas. Since we do not have the resources to offer direct help, we have set up this guide to help people find charities in each state. This is a guide about finding Christmas charities in North Carolina.

Christmas Cheer is a nonprofit charity based in Alamance County. The organization provides assistance during the holiday season to families with children in the eighth grade or younger and to seniors 60 years of age or older in the way of toys, food for a holiday meal, and clothing.

The Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina may be able to provide help with holiday meals.

Hope Match, located in Charlotte, North Carolina, provides assistance to families who are economically challenged and who are referred by someone who is aware of the family's situation. The organization matches up families in need with sponsors who then purchase gifts for the family.

I am on disability and have custody of my 2 granddaughters. Is there any agency out there to help with their xmas?

By Angela from NC

Most of the Christmas charities have a deadline of around Thanksgiving for taking applications and most of them also have a cut off of age 12. Most of them also verify income. We all know Christmas is coming and no matter how hard up they are, most people can afford to buy one gift a month and put it away. Also each kid only needs one gift from each person and they don't have to be designer clothes or electronics. I don't have young kids any more, mine are grown along with my adult grandchildren and I have a three year old great grandson, I spend between $10.00-$20.00 on each one. I have been done with my shopping for about six months and the way I do it, is when I see something that I know somebody wants or will like I get it. The only way I can do this is by starting in January. I live off a total of $700.00 a month and I have two adult daughters and four grown grandchildren. I also exchange gifts with an aunt and a cousin. I know a lot of people that do their Christmas shopping at dollar stores and thrift stores. Talk to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation that is in need.

I think the deadlines are all passed. Try locating a church in your neighborhood and explaining the situation to them. You could also call your local Social Services and ask if there is a very local toy drive or children's Christmas party being put on by a local organization. A local group may not have a sign-up deadline.

Charities that offer help during the holiday season in North Carolina. Please post feedback about any charities you may know about.

Editor's Note: Do NOT post here if you need help. ThriftyFun does not have resources to give direct help to those in need.