Obtaining Permission to Use Copyrighted Materials

Photo of a document describing what intellectual property is.
Contacting the publisher may be the first step, when you determine you need to have permission to use written materials. This guide is about obtaining permission to use copyrighted materials.

How can I get a release on the poem "Beau" written by Jimmy Stewart? I am writing a book on dogs and would very much like to include that poem.
Thank you.

By Pam from The Villages, FL

This is just a guess, but have you tried to look up any information on his estate? That's where I'd start, if I needed to gain permission. Good luck with the book!

Anonymous

Here is all the information to help you here at the U.S. Government Copyright Office link:

http://www.copy  faq-fairuse.html

Be sure to read everything at the link because there is also 'fair use' info at the bottom of the page that might end up being helpful for you in certain cases. The poem might not even be copyrighted but it's best to find out and a good thing you're checking in to it. :-)

Many years ago I did a few magazines...and, unless the laws have changed since then, we didn't need to get permission as long as you credited the author who wrote it (and did not change any of the wording.) Laws are basically set up to prevent people from claiming them as their own. If something is not supposed to be copied at all. It usually will be stated as that.

I agree with Patty Janes. I believe that as long as you credit the author you can use it.