Oil Stains on Clothing

How do I remove oil stains from clothes?

Elana from South Africa

Answers:

Oil Stains on Clothing

Grease: Sponge spot with a mixture of 1Tbs. salt to 4 Tbs. rubbing alcohol. Wash in hottest water safe for fabric. If spot still remains, do not dry, use dry cleaning solvent and re-wash.

Grease spots generally may be removed with hot water and soap. If the stains have become fixed by long standing, the may be removed by chloroform, ether, or naphtha. If any of these chemical are used, keep them at a safe distance from fire or artificial light.

To remove grease from silk, lay the silk on a table on top of a clean white cloth. Cover the spot thickly with powdered French chalk. On this lay a sheet of blotting paper and over that a moderately hot iron. If the grease does not disappear at once, repeat process.

Grease/Oil/Tar

• Method 1: Use powder or chalk absorbents to remove as much grease as possible. Pretreat with detergent or non-flammable dry cleaning solvent, or liquid shampoo. Wash in hottest water safe for fabric, using plenty of detergent.
  • Method 2: Rub spot with lard and sponge with a non-flammable dry cleaning solvent. Wash in hottest water and detergent safe for fabric.
(11/17/2006)

By Brenda from Texas

Oil Stains on Clothing

This has worked for me in the past: sprinkle talcum powder on the are of the oil stain, rub it in with your fingers. Iron over it using a hot iron, then rub off the talcum with a washcloth. Sometimes you have to do this 2-3 times, but usually once is enough.
Best of luck. (11/17/2006)

By BK.

Oil Stains on Clothing

I always use Spray and Wash. I've tried Shout and other brands, but Spray and Wash has never failed. Cooking bacon is the worst on my dark shirts and I spray the spots really good and toss in the washing machine and never have a spot left. (11/17/2006)

By maggie3956

Oil Stains on Clothing

Soak and wash the clothes in shampoo for oily hair. I learned this tip from watching a very oily hydraulic technician do his laundry at a laundromat. It works. (11/18/2006)

By bedlamite23

Oil Stains on Clothing
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
🎉
🎄